SHATTUCK PARK PARKERSBURG WV
Mackey's Antiques & Clock Repair
1249 Gihon Road
Parkersburg WV 26101
e mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Web Site http://www.mackeysclockrepair.net
Web Site http://www.mackeysclockrepair.org
Wood County History Photography & Scenery http://www.wchps.net
Tygart School Reunion website http://www.tygartschoolreunion.com
Marrtown Reunion website http://www.marrtownreunion.com/
Parkersburg Viscose website http://www.parkersburgviscose.com/
For Early Parkersburg History and Old Pictures
Law Enforcement & Veterans Pictures
PARKERSBURG AREA LAW ENFORCEMENT & VETERANS
History under the last picture
The Fairgrounds or Shattuck Park came by the name Shattuck in honor of one of Parkersburg's most prominent citizens in the late 1800's and the early 1900's. Charles Horace Shattuck was born July 9, 1837, near Akron, Ohio, and came to West Virginia in 1859 at the age of twenty one. His coming to this section of the state was due to a look into the future and was brought about by a peculiar circumstance. Mr. Shattuck, who was in business in Allegheny, Pa. had joined with some others in establishing a factory for the manufacture of lubricating oil from bituminous coal. The factory had been established and ready for operation. Standing in front of the office one day Mr. Shattuck was accosted by a tramp who asked for a drink of water. This was furnished by Mr. Shattuck, who also gave the man some other assistance. The tramp was grateful and asked the nature of the establishment and when it was explained, told Mr. Shattuck that he came from a place where they gathered up oil from springs by spreading blankets and matting over the sand pools and would then wring the oil out into receptacles and sell it for a large price.
Mr. Shattuck was interested and asked the location of this oil producing place. All the information the tramp could give was that it was about twenty miles back from Parkersburg, West Virginia. Mr. Shattuck decided to investigate. This was early in the year 1859. Mr. Shattuck came to Parkersburg on a steamboat and the first person he met was John Gilfillan. Mr. Shattuck asked had he heard of any oil springs in this locality and was informed that such springs were in existence at the California House in Wirt County, near the Wood County line. He secured a team from Mr. Gilfillan, visited the California House and found things just as represented by the tramp. He became impressed with the idea that if there was oil on the surface, there was a larger body underneath. He immediately returned to Pittsburg, purchased a drilling apparatus such as was used in drilling salt wells in those days.
He brought this to California House where he had it rigged up and the boring was done by hand. He drilled two wells, each two hundred feet deep, in both of which oil was found, but not in sufficient quantities to pay for the trouble and they were abandoned. While boring these wells he again returned to Pittsburg, where he met the brothers of the famous Gen. Carnes, who had just returned from an unsuccessful prospecting tour of the west. They induced Mr. Shattuck to bring him to this section. Mr. Shattuck took him to the California House and he immediately became interested in the possibilities of the oil business. He disappeared one day, and was not located until three days afterward at Burning Springs with the Rathbone family.
He was in search of an old salt well that he had heard about, which had been bored many years prior by the pioneers of that locality, but which had to be abandoned because it was impregnated with "rock oil ," as it was known at that time, which spoiled the salt. He secured a lease for one acre, for oil, one-third of the oil produced to go to the owners of the land in iron bound barrels. The well was located north of the mouth of Burning Springs Run, on the Rathbone property, and W. P. Rathbone of this city has the old lease in his possession. Gen. Carnes cleaned out the well, put in a pump and operated it with a steam engine, the well producing about seven barrels a day. A ready sale was obtained for it at twenty dollars a barrel.
Mr. Shattuck then transferred his activities to the Burning Springs section, coming there and remaining at the Rathbone home for six months. Taking up a lease on their land he drilled the historical "Shattuck Well" on the river bank, which proved to be a large producer for a number of years and was one of the first wells that was drilled for oil. This was located on the property of Col. J. C. Rathbone. Finally the banks of the river were washed away and the oil was drowned out by the water. In 1911 the well was still standing out in the river. It was this well which started the great oil excitement at Burning Springs, where many fortunes were won and lost, in this, the earliest field in the oil industry. Mr. Shattuck was also largely interested in the White Oak and Volcano fields, which were opened shortly afterward. Gen. Carnes" friends, some years after the discovery of oil in Wirt County, petitioned the legislature to authorize the striking of a medal in his honor as the discoverer of oil, or rather as having drilled the first well for oil. The matter was referred to a committee.
This committee made an investigation and afterwards reported that honor belonged to C. H. Shattuck, for the wells he drilled at the California House in 1859. It was while operating at Burning Springs that Mr. Shattuck occasionally came to Parkersburg, sometimes riding a fine horse which he had then, in time for breakfast. Prior to moving to Parkersburg he built a residence here in hopes of marrying a local lady, Miss Annie E. Neal, which occurred April 28, 1863. Three daughters were born of this union. Mrs. Shattuck passed away in May, 1905. After taking up residence here he engaged in the milling business in what was the old Novelty Mill and in which he was very successful.
Some time later his health became impaired and he sold out his holdings in that business and with his family went to New Orleans where they remained for about eight months. When they returned, he repurchased a controlling interest in the mill, retaining the same until after he was elected Sheriff of Wood County in 1872, when he again sold out his holdings. After retiring from the office of Sheriff he organized the Citizens National Bank and was cashier for some time. Governor J. R. Jackson was the first president of the bank and Governor A. I. Boreman the second. After Mr. Boreman retired Mr. Shattuck was elected president, which he retained to his death. Then came Shattuck and Jackson Grocery Company. In 1890 he and Jas. Monroe Jackson, Jr. organized the Parkersburg Electric Light Company, and later purchased the old horse street car line.
The street car company was reorganized under the name of the Parkersburg Street Railway Company, planning to install electric cars. Several of the stockholders of this new company sold out, believing this to be a losing venture. Later the company purchased the city lines. of the street car company in Marietta and the company was reorganized under the name of the Parkersburg-Marietta & Inter-Urban Railway Company. This connected the two cities up with the Inter-Urban line. Later Mr. Shattuck was elected president of the electric light company, and remained president until his death, and was responsible for the extension of the system to Lowell! Ohio. This was of great benefit to Parkersburg and the section it traversed, and due to Mr. Shattuck's energy and forethought this system will be a monument to his memory, as there was no one other thing which contributed so largely to the material growth of Parkersburg as this electric system in which he took great pride.
Mr. Shattuck was the leading spirit in the construction of the East Street Bridge across the Little Kanawha River, together with Senator J. N. Camden. The bridge was built at a cost of about $160,000. They also purchased practically all of the stock of the Parkersburg Industrial Company whose holdings on the South Side amounted to seven hundred acres. This being done, the city street car system was extended into that vicinity and the fair grounds were built at a cost nearing $100,000, which later was named "SHATTUCK PARK" over the vigorous protest of Mr. Shattuck who was modest as to the use of his name, but it was an honor worthily bestowed. Mr. Shattuck was involved in many successful oil production and refining ventures, even receiving payment from the Miller & Sibley Oil Company to not compete with them in lubricating oils, and it was said that there has scarcely been an enterprise of so large proportions in Parkersburg for the past forty years in which Mr. Shattuck was not the prime factor, and their success was due to his keen judgement and persistent attention to even the minutest details.
Outside of being connected with financial enterprises Mr. Shattuck was an important factor in city, county and state politics for a number of years, he being a Republican. In addition to being sheriff of the county, he was mayor of the city in the 1870's. Mr. Shattuck was possessed of wonderful foresight and acumen. He was one of the prime factors in the material and business development of the city and locality, taking a lending part in the industrial development in this section. He was a man of strong character and convictions, yet with all had a kindly heart, and frequently lent a helping hand to those in distress, doing his kindly acts in a quiet manner. He made his home at 910 Juliana Street and owned a farm named "Redwood" with the large farmhouse standing where Lakeview Estates now stands. Mr. Shattuck is buried in the family plot at the Odd Fellows cemetery and marked by one of the finest monuments in the cemetery.
January, 1906, a meeting of the Stockholders of the West Virginia Agricultural Fair Association was held to select a suitable site for a fair ground, south of the Little Kanawha River, the proposed site being a portion of the Ward Farm, not less than fifty acres or more than seventy. The location will be of easy access to the city by means of an extension of the city electric lines to that point and the building of a new bridge across the Little Kanawha. The Fair elected as board of directors: Judge Reese Blizzard, C. H. Shattuck, O. S. Hawkins, Sprigg D. Camden, J. F. Woodyard, Thomas Logan, A. E. Kenney, J. F. Mallory and Ed Brast. All of the buildings will be of a substantial and modern type and special care will be taken as to the grand stand at the race track, which will have a steel frame to guarantee safety to all of the people that it can accommodate, an estimated several thousand.
The race track, one of the important features of the fair, will be one of the best half-mile tracks in the country, which will be oval in shape. One of the objects of the corporation is to make the fair an agricultural institution to encourage the people of the agricultural districts in raising fine stock and farm products, such as will be worthy of exhibition. So with these guidelines South Parkersburg was on its way, and the Fairground or Shattuck Park was born.
the exact acreage of the fairground was 62.22 acres with street boundaries with names as we now know them. In September, 1906, the deal was ratified and the resolution passed for the construction of an 80 foot boulevard (now Camden Avenue) from the Fairground property to the bridge to be constructed across the Little Kanawha River at East Street. The fairgrounds will be provided with one of the best tracks in the state and the buildings to be erected will be of steel and concrete construction, up-to-date and modern in every particular. Numerous prominent people have already subscribed for stock. Matters have been held in abeyance for nearly a year until the matter of a bridge across the Kanawha was assured.
Now the soliciting committee will resume operations and will take stock subscriptions from local people. It is the intention to begin active work as soon as possible in order to have everything in readiness for the opening of the grounds next season, as the bridge will be completed in ample time for the event. The boulevard from the grounds will be one of the features of the enterprise. This road will be slightly over a mile long and 80 feet in width, and will be constructed at a cost of $10,000. It will be of the most substantial character of macadamized construction.
September 11, 1906--The Parkersburg and South Side Bridge Company awarded the contract for the building of the piers for the proposed new bridge to be erected by the company, to the Brady Construction and Engineering Company of this city. Mr. C. H. Shattuck, one of the principal members of the bridge company today stated that six bids were received. The contract calls for the building of two river piers, two shore piers and two abutments. The piers will be of concrete and the two river piers will be seventy feet high from low water mark, 18 feet wide and fifty feet long. The bridge itself will be of the cantilever pattern. Bids have been advertised for the construction of an eighty foot boulevard, extending from the end of the bridge to the proposed new fairgrounds, which will be one of the finest roadways in West Virginia.
The West Virginia Fair Company is getting things in shape for the necessary improvements on their property, the building of the race tract and buildings. Another important enterprise to be established on the South Side will be an up-to-date stock farm, the property of Judge Reese Blizzard, and will be known as "The Gratitude Stock Farm." It will be located on the large farm recently purchased by Judge Blizzard. September 27, 1906 The West Virginia Fair Company started construction on the track buildings. Work on the grading was begun and thirty teams have been advertised for to assist in this work. A superintendent of construction, Mr. Settle of Easton, Pa., has been engaged to take charge of all of the work. Work on the bridge is underway.
Construction of the street car line will be begun soon. October 3, 1906--Twenty-five teams and a large force of men are actively engaged at work on the grading for the new track and grounds of the West Virginia Fair Company on the South Side. The track will be the very best in the state of West Virginia, barring none. The work on the track will be rushed through to completion. The track will be 80 feet in width and perfectly level around the entire circuit. In the center of the field inside the track will be a baseball diamond that will compare favorably with those in all the big league cities, and, as this will be easy to reach with street car service, it will prove to be a popular place during the season.
As soon as the track is completed new training barns will be erected, as a noted horseman has already made application to winter his string of fifty horses here. As soon as the barns are completed, work will be started on the grandstand, which will be constructed of steel, and will be of sufficient capacity to comfortably seat ten thousand people. The whole ground will be enclosed with a substantial fence. There is plenty of natural shade on the grounds, as a large portion is covered with forest trees. When completed, the whole place will be lighted by electricity, the grandstand, pavilions, stables and the park. When the fair is opened the street car company will provide all the cars necessary to handle quickly any sized crowd that may attend.
Work on the new speedway or boulevard (now Camden Avenue) from the south end of the new bridge across the Kanawha River to the Fairgrounds will make it one of the most perfect pieces of road in the state. The boulevard will be 80 feet in width. In the center the Inter-Urban will construct double tracks, twenty feet wide, with a twenty foot roadway on each side of the tracks and six foot cement sidewalks on each side, the entire distance. Trees and shrubbery will be set out along both sides of the speedway and electric lights will also be provided. When completed it will compare favorably with any speedway in the country, and will be a popular place for horsemen and automobiles.
October 13, 1906--Residents of Parkersburg have little conception of the magnitude of the work in the improvements that are underway on the South Side, although quite a number of Parkersburgers drive over daily, and all are surprised at the scene of activity, the scores of teams and men that are engaged on the work. The Brady Construction Co. have the contract for the construction of the boulevard have at least twenty five teams delivering sewer pipe, brick and other material for the work. Work is also being pushed on the race track and fairgrounds. It is a fact that the track will be twenty feet wider than the widest track in the state, and some only half as wide.
The new track will be 80 feet in width which will give a large string of horses an opportunity to get away in the start without crowding. December 12, 1906--Work on the new race track of the West Virginia Fair Co. was completed today and is in shape, just as it is, for the fleet footed racers that will be speeding over it in the near future. One of the men prominently identified with the new enterprise said there has been such a demand for space in the training barns that it is doubtful if the barns now under construction will be adequate to take care of all the horses expected, and it may be necessary to let the contract for additional barns.
With several large strings of horses here all through the winter, he says will bring many people here, who will spend their money freely and it will be a big item for the hotel keepers and feed dealers. Col. Tom Settle, of Paducah, Ky., who constructed the race track for the West Virginia Fair Co., said it was the finest half mile track in the county, without exception, and is the only 80 foot wide track that he knows of in the states.
January 3, 1907--Considering the miserable weather of the past few weeks, good progress is being made on the boulevard grading for the railway and other work on the South Side. The horseshoe arch, the first of its kind ever constructed in this section, located near the Tavenner property, has been completed. The arch is composed entirely of cement and is a splendid piece of work, almost indestructible in character. The grading and filling work is going on apace. Even with the delays due to bad weather, excellent progress has been made, and things will be in good shape by spring for the construction of the trolley line on the south side of the river, and for the finishing touches on the boulevard. High water in the Kanawha River has retarded work on the piers.
April 25, 1907--From present indications it is doubtful if the improvements on the South Side will be completed in time for holding a fair this fall. It is the opinion that it will be impossible to complete the proposed bridge across the Little Kanawha River at East Street in time for connecting up the extension of the Inter-Urban to that side of the river. Delays were due to right-of-ways, height of the bridge, but most of the delay was due to high water most of the winter. In the meantime, other work on the South Side has been going on apace, with the drawback being the bridge, and it looks now as if the people of this section will have to forego the pleasure of attending a county fair this fall.
January 23, 1907--The work that has already been accomplished on the new fairgrounds is a source of gratification to those who are connected with this enterprise. Judge Blizzard said the grounds have all been cleared up and graded, the race track is practically completed, two large barns are already completed and a third is well under way. When the season opens in the spring the whole ground will be enclosed with a strong and substantial fence, for which 1800 locust posts have already been placed on the ground, and then the contract will be let for the other buildings, including the grandstand.
March 25, 1907--H. N. and H. C. Spencer of Rich Hill. Missouri, arrived here Sunday night from their stock farm in that state with as fine a string of track horses as have been brought to Parkersburg for quite a while, for the purpose of training on the track at the new fairground south of the Little Kanawha, as soon as the track is ready. The horses are temporarily quartered at Graham Bros. stable on Market Street, where they will remain until they are taken to the track. August 21, 1907--A large swinging crane, 85 feet in length, in use at the Brady Construction Co. plant in building the piers for the bridge across the Kanawha River at East Street, broke Tuesday afternoon and crashed through the office on the bank.
occupied by the engineers and draughtsmen and the two men in the office, Homer Higgs and Benton Beckwith had a narrow escape, the former receiving painful injuries. Some of engineer Horstman's instruments were damaged. The wreckage is being repaired in order that the work may be pushed along as rapidly as possible. October 21 1907 Five car loads of steel for the new East Street Bridge arrived here Saturday. High water has hampered the building of the piers. About 150 Hungarians will be brought to Parkersburg for the work on the piers as most of this work is done in the water and the construction company having that portion of the contract have been unable to secure American laborers to do the work.
January 20, 1905 The channel span of the new bridge at East Street across the Kanawha has been swung and is now safe. The span is 300 feet long. May 21, 1905--The big, new bridge at East Street was opened for traffic this morning. The bridge is 8OO feet long, the middle span being 300 feet. The crowning event connected with the completion of the vast enterprises on the south side of the Little Kanawha will be the opening of the extension of the street car line to the property of the West Virginia Fair Company.
June 29, 1905 Two cars were put on the run to the South Side Sunday afternoon to accommodate the crowds of Parkersburgers who visited the new race track and fairgrounds. Work on all the improvements continues and promises to be a busy place until the opening of the fair in the fall. A full force of men are at work extending the street car line from its present terminus into the fairgrounds, to a point beyond the grandstand and a siding will be constructed of sufficient capacity to accommodate twenty cars at one time to handle the large crowds attending the fair.
September 4, 1905 Some of the fastest horses in the country will be here in the races of the West Virginia Fair. The outlook at this time would indicate that there will be many records broken here on account of the fast track at Shattuck Park. owing to the class of fast goers which will be here. The track is said to be in the pink of condition at this time, and it is recognized by horsemen as being one of the fastest half mile tracks in the country. The fair association has secured Albert H. Merrill, one of the best known starters, to start the races. Fair dates are September 15, 16, 17 and l8th. Finest grounds, best race track, biggest grandstand, costliest and most convenient stables, barns and halls of any fair association in the Ohio Valley.
September 14, 1905 Capt. R. K. Petty, who will have charge of the day force of twenty policemen at the West Virginia Fair this week has selected his men and they are as follows: George Logsdon, Lew Baker, Jim O'Neill, S. J. Emerick, Lawrence O'Neill. M. A. Melrose, A. J. Nicely, W. S. Cook, D. W. Hitt, D. H. Lilly, J. K. Jolly, Bert Park, L. J. Lilly, J. N. Black. Mart Williams, W. H. King, R. D. Petty, W. E. Deem, John Kincheloe and Bert Bartlett. These are good and capable men who will preserve order in all sections of the grounds and will watch over the exhibits during the day. The night force, under the charge of Capt. J. R. Mehen is composed of a dozen or more good men who will see to the safety of the exhibits.
Many of the privileged men who will have refreshment and lunch stands, side shows and other attractions were getting their places in shape along the midway or main driveway in the grounds, which leads from the main entrance up toward the grandstand. Without a doubt Floral Hall will be one of the most, if not the most attractive places in the entire park, where many of the business firms of this city and several from Williamstown will be represented with elaborate displays. Lon C. Smith, the superintendent of the hall together with John W. Roberts, one of the committee to look after this department, have worked hard to make a fine showing, and they are receiving the congratulations of everybody familiar with their efforts. That they have been successful cannot be questioned, and Mr. Smith stated to a Sentinel reporter on Sunday that they would have had no trouble in filling a building twice the size of the hall.
The building contains fifty-four booths, all of which, it is needless to say, are taken, and in addition to these there will be a number of exhibits on the wide veranda, which extends clear around the outside of the building. The exhibits in this department represent a valuation of about $125,000, outside of the labor that it has entailed to get the exhibits ready, which will give everybody some conception of the importance of the department. Owing to the fact that there is and will be so much valuable property in the hall, ample police protection has been provided, so that none of the exhibitors need have any uneasiness as to the safety of their displays.
Some of the displays were of the following exhibitors: Carney & Mullen, H. P. Moss & Company, Dils Bros. & Company, Bosbury Bros., G. W. Nishwander & Company, Hall & Prescott, Sid Epstein, The Surprise Store, J. W. Dudley & Son, West Virginia Western Telephone Co. The Chancellor Hardware Company, Biddle Shoe Company, Logan Carriage Company, Model Shoe Store, Woodward Manufacturing Company, H. F. Fisher Shoe Store, Fenton Art Glass Company of Williamstown, Parmelee Boat Company of Williamstown, Williamstown Manufacturing Company, Sterling Veneer Basket Company of Williamstown and Powell & Compton. On the Veranda were displays of the C. H. Turner Company, Carney & Mullens Branch. Peerless Milling Company, Logan Carriage Company, Woodward Manufacturing Company, and the Ohio Valley Bending Company, while west of the hall is the exhibit of the International Harvesting Machine Company under a large tent.
One of the first buildings upon which the eye rests on entering the park to the right of the driveway is the poultry and pet stock building, which is one of the most complete buildings for the purpose that will be seen on any fairground. Frank S. Gibson, who is the superintendent of this department, is a man well qualified for the position, being a fancier of fine poultry and raiser of some fine stock. Mr. Gibson is looking after the exhibits in a manner which cannot help but be pleasing to the exhibitors and all of the later were well pleased with the accommodation afforded.
The first building to the left of the main entrance is the cattle department, for which most comfortable quarters are provided. Those who visit this building are at once struck with the beautiful herds of cattle which have come from points far and near, many of which have been exhibited at all of the big fairs that have been held up to this time. A noticeable feature in this department is that the greater portion of the cattle which are to be seen are from Ohio, while Pennsylvania is quite well represented, with a few herds from West Virginia. All of the stock of this department show the effect of careful grooming for several weeks prior to the opening of the fair season, and those who view them cannot help but marvel at their beauty.
Three superintendents are in charge of this department, all of whom are capable men for such supervision, C. W. Prewett, Perry Nicely and Morris Taft. Among the herds which had been quartered on the grounds up until late Sunday afternoon were those owned by D. Bradfute & Son of Cedarville, Aberdeen Angus, P. C. Green & Bro., Herfords, of Kenney,
© The collection of all content on this website is the property of Mackey's Antiques & Clock Repair and is protected by U.S. and International copyright laws © copyright 1997-2017 All Rights Reserved