old city buses parkersburg wv - Mackey's Antique Clock Repair

OLD CITY BUSES PARKERSBURG WV

Mackey's Antiques & Clock Repair
1249 Gihon Road
Parkersburg WV 26101
 

   304 422-7274

 e mail   rmackey@mackeysclockrepair.com

Website  http://www.mackeysclockrepair.com    

Web Site http://www.mackeysclockrepair.net

Web Site http://www.mackeysclockrepair.org

Wood County History Photography & Scenery  http://www.wchps.net

Tygart School Reunion website http://www.tygartschoolreunion.com

Marrtown Reunion website http://www.marrtownreunion.com/

Parkersburg Viscose website http://www.parkersburgviscose.com/  

a Brief history of the Parkersburg Bus System at bottom of page 

Monongahela Transport Co., South along the Monongahela River to Morgantown, Fairmont and Clarksburg. MTC also operated local lines in the three cities, as well as in Parkersburg, and railways north from Parkersburg along the Ohio River crossing into Ohio at Marietta.  Dodge, a 1922 model seating 16 passengers, came from Star City Bus Co. and was valued at $750. then.

 

Buses 59 to 64 of Monongahela Transport Company were General Motors truck chassis, with Lang bodies (according to information at hand) seating 21 passengers. These buses were considered to be very rough riding. They were purchased new in 1928. Shown is bus 60 -- the number appears on the panel alongside the front marker light just ahead of the door,  practically invisible in this photo

 

Also purchased new in 1928 was bus 67, a type Y, series W, model 320.

 

C-36 buses in the Parkersburg Division: 348 on layover in Williamstown, W. Va., on the Parkersburg-Marietta Route. Not all buses crossed the Ohio River into Marietta.

 

heading out Seventh Street to 36th & Broad, the former North End streetcar line, and today called ELM-36 by successor "Easy Rider".

 

 

 

 

Bus 362 heading into downtown Parkersburg on Seventh Street, perhaps coming back from 36th & Broad. Look close and you'll see tire chains on the rear tires!

 

Bus 402 at Williamstown. The C-44's seated 39 on high back seats, and had high-speed rears, but had center doors. They predated the introduction of the C-44 Suburban model.

 

Two views of Acf-Brill C-36 number 351 in front of the Parkersburg garage. The view above shows the original paint scheme with tear-drops around the wheels.

 

2nd view of Acf-Brill C-36 number 351 in front of the Parkersburg garage. The view above shows the original paint scheme with tear-drops around the wheels.

 

The Belpre Bus at the garage in Rockland

 

The Belpre Bus at the garage in Rockland

 

Buses in Parkersburg Twin Coach TC-25 ex Huntington pulls away from the downtown loading zone heading out on the long run to Vienna. Note it bears number 5 and former number 7408, and is still in Tri-State paint.

 

Buses 8 and 9, ex KRT jobs from Charleston, plus two ex Huntington buses, at the downtown Parkersburg  loading zone (timed transfer concept) in July 1985.

 

six new buses are red, and one with a wheelchair lift is blue. Nos. 23 (red) and 20 (blue) wait to go into service in this May 1986 view. Drivers report they handle "like a Cadillac", but rear brakes have very short life

 

 

Bluebirds 20 and 21 were used on charters, even interstate, but insurance costs got so high they are used mostly for local trips. They have 41 reclining seats and air-conditioning. Here they sit in the setting summer sun during 1985 waiting for the next charter order.

 

 

West Penn Railways operated buses west of Pittsburgh as far as Cleveland and Detroit by two subsidiaries, Penn Bus Lines and Union Motor Transit. To the south of Pittsburgh, West Penn and Monongahela West Penn Public Service Company operates buses through three subsidiaries: Ohio Valley Transit along the Ohio River through Wheeling (see MCA October, 1985); White Star Lines south to Washington, Pa.; and Monongahela Transport

Co., south along the Monongahela River to Morgantown, Fairmont and Clarksburg. MTC also operated local lines in the three cities, as well as in Parkersburg, and railway served north from Parkersburg along the Ohio River crossing into Ohio at Marietta.

 

the West Virginia system that eventually became City Lines of West Virginia, Inc. A survey of West Virginia bus and jitney operations in 1923 indicated a flurry of activity in the area of these cities, some being the only transportation from "town" to the coal mines. The routes and number of buses at that time were:

- Parkersburg-Belpre-Rockland, Ohio 3 buses

 

The Marietta operation fed the Parkersburg-Marietta trolley line. In later years, "City Bus Co." operated some

local service in Marietta; and another small company known as Parkersburg Transit Co, ran across the Ohio

River at Parkersburg to Belpre and Rockland, Ohio. The second bus operation began April I, 1924, also using

three Pierce-Arrow buses. This bus route began at the end of the M-WPPS car line from Fairmont, at Rivesville,

and provided a connecting bus service into Morgantown.

 

For this, M-WPPS formed a bus subsidiary known as Monongahela Transport Company, incorporated in West Virginia March 18, 1923. The next use of buses was in the autumn of 1926, when four type X Yellow Coaches were delivered during August to convert the Parkersburg-South Parkersburg car line. The year 1927 was a very busy year for Monongahela Transport Co. It acquired numerous franchises and small operations, adding 28 used buses, as well as nine new, to the fleet.

 

 

 

 

  The collection of all content on this website is the property of Mackey's Antiques & Clock Repair and is protected by U.S. and International copyright laws copyright 1997-2016 All Rights Reserved