1896 parkersburg wv - Mackey's Antique Clock Repair

1896 PICTURES OF PARKERSBURG WV OLD PICTURES

Mackey's Antiques & Clock Repair
1249 Gihon Road
Parkersburg WV 26101
 

   304 422-7274

 e mail   rmackey@mackeysclockrepair.com

Website  http://www.mackeysclockrepair.com    

Web Site http://www.mackeysclockrepair.net

Web Site http://www.mackeysclockrepair.org

Tygart School Reunion website http://www.tygartschoolreunion.com

Marrtown Reunion website http://www.marrtownreunion.com/

Parkersburg Viscose website http://www.parkersburgviscose.com/  

Wood County History Photography & Scenery  http://www.wchps.net

 

Click the link below for page 2 of 1896 Parkersburg pictures

PAGE 2 1896 PICTURES OF PARKERSBURG WV OLD PICTURES

 

 

 

The Old Homestead 1896 Since its establishment, in April,1891, the ,Old Homestead, located in Court Square, has met with popular favor from a large class of patrons. Robert Clark, Jr. is the proprietor of the resort, which comprises a buffet and saloon, and judging from the success he has attained, he is thoroughly familiar with the demands of an oft-time hungry populace. Their patronage is extended in a liberal manner and the place enjoys a large trade. At the bar is always obtainable the finest grades of wines and whiskies, served by courteous and obliging attendants, who are  always careful as to the wants of their patrons. In the buffet the cooking is always of the best, well seasoned and prepared and served amid the best appointments.

 

 

H. P. MOSS. Among the leading commercial enterprises of Parkersburg which have enjoyed a steady growth and extensive patronage is the stationery and book selling establishment of H. P. Moss, located at 415 Market street, the premises being 24x90feet in dimensions and comprising two floors. The business is conducted on .the wholesale and retail plan and was established ten years under the style of Moss & Bentley, this firm being succeeded in 1895 by the present proprietor. The extensive stock comprises a comprehensive line of stationery and stationer's sundries, a wall paper department located an the second floor; an, exceptionally fine display of bicycles, including the Stearns, Fenton, Waverly, Crescent and other cheaper grades. In connection with this department a bicycle school has been opened and is being successfully conducted. The house is agent for A. G. Spaulding, the largest sporting goods dealer in the world; and also controls the largest newspaper route and periodical circulation in West Virginia.

 

Contract work in interior decorations of every description is a special feature, four men being constantly employed in this branch of the business. In the jobbing of school books and stationery no house in the State can favorably compare their business with this one; in cut glass and china-ware many varieties are always offered in a large and carefully selected stock; pottery and framed pictures and the framing of pictures is an important feature and is a source of supply in this line that meets the demands of all patrons. The house controls a large business and carries everything known to the trade, including the latest and most fashionable novelties in the stationery and fancy goods line and they enjoy the favor and confidence of the trade throughout this trade territory, adding to the list of customers, who have dealt with the house for years, new patrons, who find the excellent assortment and the uniformly low prices, attractive, while the business methods of the establishment are such as to commend it to the confidence as well as the favor of the trade. Throughout the decade covered by the history of the house, it has pursued an honorable and enterprising course, which has brought it into high repute among the many whom it numbers as its patrons. Mr. Moss is especially well adapted to the business by his long experience and his- position is as high socially as in a business way. 1896

 

 

Interior View of Biddle & Dollmeyer Grocery Store 1896 Square, honorable and reliable business methods go farther and count more in the end of a long business career than any other factor entering into the' stock in trade of the average enterprise To this class of business men belong the firmly established and well known firm of Biddle & Dollmeyer, fancy grocers, 613Market street. The senior member of the firm is J. B. Biddle and the junior member W. T. Dollmeyer. The firm established their business February 14, 1895.

 

The floorage capacity of this model, establishment is 9,000 feet and every; branch of the grocery trade is represented on this space. A force of five people are continually kept busy, morning, noon and night, attending to the wants If hundreds of patrons, who throng the big store. Recently great improvements have been added to the stereo no firm stands higher in the commercial world than does this one, and with their rare sagacity they appreciate this very keenly. Everything the word "general" implies is found there in excellence and quality to satisfy the most particular buyer.

 

 

M. B. Bartlett & Company 1896 Standing pre-eminent and above all similar institutions in this city, ranking with the best in the State, and comparing favorably with those of any city in the country are the boarding, sale and cab stables of M. B. Bartlett & Co. doing business on Ann street, at the foot of Fourth. The enterprise was established in 1891, on lower Ann street, near Second, the quarters at that point having been destroyed by fire in April of last year. Before the conflagration, however, the erection of the present building, which is 40x120 feet in dimensions of brick, and two stories in height, with a basement, had been commenced and was soon ready for occupancy.

 

In addition to the above is an annex in the rear, 16x80 feet in dimensions, which is utilized as a stable. The building is of the most complete design, with elevator. and perfectly ventilated, and has fine sanitation. the basement are sheltered twenty-two head of horses for livery purposes, while half that number are continually provided with boarding. On the second floor are the office, harness and carriage rooms, while the third floor is utilized in the storage of new equipments and feed rooms. On this floor is also displayed a splendid line of specimen productions of the celebrated Columbus Buggy Company, of which the firm are the exclusive agents in this city and constantly control large sales of the most perfect patterns of conveyances.

 

Four cabs of the latest design are placed at the disposal of weddings and funerals at all times. Two of the cabs, which are used principally for weddings, are probably the finest in West Virginia, being lined throughout with the costliest imported Morocco and black silk; have the finest French plate mirrors and window lights, a cabman's signal and all the late appliances known to modern cab equipments. The cabs were just purchased at a cost of $1,030 each. For a general livery business the stables are equipped for the most extensive operations, twenty single buggies and three surreys of the handsomest design being included in the stock. No more fashionable turnout could be obtained anywhere than at this establishment, while the horses are all fine riders and drivers. The business is a most extensive one and all horses left in the charge of the stable for boarding purposes are given thoroughly efficient attention. M. B. Bartlett and V. L. Bartlett comprise the firm and are well known business men

 

 

 

Plant of the Logan Carriage Company 1896 Among the many elements which make up Parkersburg's important position in the cities of West Virginia, none is of more vital importance than the line of carriage and wagon building. the leading concern in the branch of industry is the Logan Carriage Company, located in the splendid two story brick structure, 70x80 feet in dimensions, at 118, 120, 122 and 124 Fourth street. The concern was established in May, 1882, by L. N. Logan, J. W. Smith, C. A. Lester and I. H. Wright, under the style of the Logan Carriage Company. Mr. Smith retired four years later and Mr. Lester retired in 1889. in September, 1884, Henry Logan, Jr. purchased the interest of L. N. Logan and in April of the present year the firm was reorganized, under the present style, I. H. Wright, L. N. Logan, Henry Logan, Jr., Samuel Logan and H. D. Porter constituting the membership.

 

In 1891 the plant was removed from Second and Market streets, where it had been established, to Fourth street between Ann and Juliana. Here the business was extensively conducted until last year, when the building was destroyed by fire. On the site of the burned building the company has erected a modern designed building, most advantageously planned and which is a striking evidence of the business progress and enterprise or the' firm which erected it. It is equipped with appliances of the most complete design, for the rapid and thorough turning out of the most substantial as well artistic work.

 

Here are manufactured carriages and wagon of every description, and it is the intention of the company to shortly engage in the extensive manufacture of harness. Carriage and, wagon building, as well as repairing, will be revolutionized in the new quarters and patrons will be benefited by prices that were, previous to this time, unheard of in this city. Materials will be received direct from the largest manufacturers, with whom the company maintain the most favorable relations, which is a decided advantage over buying from middlemen and tile consumer will, as a result, be benefited thereby. The company caters to the exclusive wants of many of the leading firms of the city and now employs twelve operatives, with splendid prospects of largely increasing their force. The members composing the company are all gentlemen, possessing a thorough knowledge of the business, and are prepared to furnish work which cannot be surpassed.

 

 

The Plant of Upson's Oil and Soap Company 1896 One of the leading industries of Parkersburg is the Upson's Oil and Soap Works. Floating soap later sold to Proctor & Gamble as " Ivory " was developed in Parkersburg by Upson oil & Soap works. Established by .N. L. Upson in 1867, it has grown in importance until the present time, and ranks among the prominent institutions of the State, and its products find a market not only in the United States, built in many countries of Europe the plant of this flourishing company covers almost two squares within the city limits. Most centrally located, upon the banks of the Little Kanawha River, near the great Ohio, having the Baltimore and Ohio, and Ohio River Railroads in its front and rear, with three switches through and around the premises.

 

The main building of the soap factory proper is a large and substantial brick structure, connected with two other brick buildings of commodious size, where the soap is made, the process of which is most interesting. To describe adequately. would make a long article by itself. The subject is fascinating, embracing the manufacture of the finest toilet soaps by the French Milling Process. The machinery for this is of the most expensive and costly kind. In addition there is' a capacity of sixty thousand pounds of laundry soap per day, and all thoroughly equipped with modern, up to date, appliances, excelled by but few of the largest soap factories in the United States.

 

A specialty is made of French Process laundry soap, which has a world wide reputation, as do all the brands of which there are thirty-two varieties only the best materials are used, except in ,the cheaper brands of soap. Some idea of the extent or this business may be gained by contemplating the fact that it requires two thousand five hundred dollars per day to run the works to their full capacity. A still better conception of the business carried on by the Upson's Oil & Soap Co. may be gleaned from a glance over the field covered by their sales, their soap is shipped all over the United States, through special agencies; as for instance, their New England agency at 275 Franklin St., Boston, 'where the soap is delivered to the far down eastern States. The sale of the Company's products is not confined to our own country, as we see that they have a permanent agency in London, at 63 Queen Victoria St.

 

Upson's Oil & Soap Co. was incorporated under the laws of the State or West Virginia in 1886, N. L. Upson, President and Treas., C. N. Upson, Vice President and Superintendent, and H. T. Upson, Secretary. These gentlemen hold a high place in the estimation of the community, as enterprising and progressive business men and as public spirited citizens. The large business they have attained is the logical outcome of legitimate methods, and as lasting as it is sure. In addition to the soap business, which was taken U1J about fifteen years ago, by  consolidation with a Cincinnati company of National reputation, Upson's Oil & Soap Co., continues the natural lubricating oil business, originally begun in the "sixties," when Parkersburg was the oil center for the natural heavy bodied oils, only produced in this vicinity, and the company are the last of a large number of operators in this line whom they have successfully succeeded; as Gates, Skinner & Co., Macomber, Taber &. Co., Alexander, Thomas & Co., and Skinner, Steel & Co. until they are the sole survivors of this important business, except the Standard Oil. Co. They have lived to see every other refinery in Parkersburg succumb to the strides of the mighty monopoly.

 

The recent developments of oil in this vicinity will add greatly to the success of Upson's Oil & Soap Co., as they are now contemplating the erection of  a large refinery to  work up a portion of the production of crude oil in the neighborhood, in connection with their lubricating oil business, from which it will be seen that Upson's Oil & Soap Co. has not reached the limits of growth by any means, as it is already, it is constantly increasing its capacity and by all indications stands on the threshold of a future filled with still greater prosperity and success.

 

 

Plant Of Parkersburg Chair Company 1896 It is a most gratifying pride for the citizens of Parkersburg to know that local industries are branching out and that its brawn and muscle are supplying the markets of remote parts of this country, in general, as well as all sections of surrounding tributary territory. The Parkersburg Chair Company, situate on the line of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad and George street, the newest of Parkersburg's industrial enterprises, is a concern of this class.

 

It was established in 1895, in the present premise a four-story brick structure, 60x100 feet in dimensions, with an annex 40x54 feet and two stories in height. The engine and boiler department is one story, 40x50 feet in size, while the entire plant, including the factory yards, have an area of six acres. the dry kiln has a capacity of 50,000 feet, and is one of the most perfectly arranged kilns in the country. The great building constituting the principal portion of the plant if provided with two immense elevators tor the transmission of finished goods and materials. The effective equipment of labor saving machinery furnished one of the most noteworthy example or the greatness of the Greater Parkersburg as manufacturing district The machines are in use wherever their advantage is the greatest, and are especially designed and used exclusively by them.

 

The resources of this equipment are of the most complete character making the plant a model of system and of complete organization. Nearly one hundred men are employed in the manufacture of eighty styles of chairs, ranging in quality from the cheapest kitchen chair, to the most expensive office chair. The output is over three hundred chairs per day, which are distributed largely to the trade of Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, Kentucky and West Virginia. An evidence or the demand for the company's products is that seven traveling representatives are constantly employed throughout the extensive area mentioned previously.

 

This expanding demand makes the mammoth plant a scene of the greatest activity. An illustrated catalogue is issued by the company, setting forth their product in detail. The steady growth and product of this youngster clearly illustrates the prosperity that marks business ability and enterprise, for striving for perfection in the productions of their line with patience, skill and intelligence-carefully analyzing every particle of the component parts that enter into them-studying at all times to excel in the present the product of yesterday, and with the costliest and latest approved methods of appliances with skilled and competent men of experience in all departments, the Parkersburg Chair Company's success is not to be wondered at. in addition to the preceding facts, it may be said, not a little of their popularity is due to the efforts and consideration shown in the matter of supplying their trade with promptness and accuracy.

 

Then again, customers who have occasion to call at the business office of this big institution, come in 'contact with a corps of employees who are ever courteous and considerate. the success of a city as well as that of a business establishment is made up of such things as these. 'the Parkersburg Chair Company was incorporated under the laws of West Virginia with a capital stock of $200,000, for the manufacture of wood and cane seat chairs. Its officers are B. D. Spilman, president; W. H. Wolfe, vice-president: Maj. P. D. Neal, general manager and secretary, and W. E. Curry, superintendent. the gentlemen are all well known in manufacturing and financial circles, and in general and in detail the business of the company is managed upon methods commensurate with the vast importance of the interests it controls. Maj. Neal is in direct supervision of the concern's affairs, and the ability with which he conducts them causes a steady increase volume from time to time.

 

 

Plant of Bentley & Gerwig Furniture Co 1896 Bentley & Gerwig Furniture Co. 1896 A trade interest of Parkersburg, which like all great things, had a small beginning, is the extensive manufactory of the Bentley & Gerwig Furniture Co., located at the corner of Ann and Sixth streets. Fifteen years ago this industry, that has contributed so much to the city's interests, was born in an abandoned cooper shop, located on Ann street, near the foot of Fourth street, where the manufacture of the cheaper grades of bedsteads and bureaus was indulged in on a small scale, until 1883, when the high waters inundated the factory, compelling the occupants to vacate the premises.

 

But the high waters proved a God-send, for it was directly following this that the foundation for the present stately structure was commenced, the close of that year seeing it completed and ready for occupancy. This building, which fronts on Ann street, is 50 x 125 feet in dimension, is of brick, is four stories in height and with a basement under the entire structure.

 

An annex, 50 x 90 feet in dimensions and three stories high, extends along Sixth street. The plant is equipped with all the necessary machinery and appliances for the prosecution of the industry by the most improved processes, and upon the most extensive scale, employment hoeing given to usually 85 hands, including a large force  of skilled workmen. The manufactures of the company include chiffoniers, wardrobes and sideboards, the products finding their way to all the principal markets, from Maine to California, and even extending into points of Europe.

 

Shipments have also been made to South Africa and Yucatan. The products of this establishment are made principally of native oak and their merits are sufficiently known to the trade to overtax the capacity of the plant, the amount of lumber being consumed in the manufacture of furniture aggregating 1,500,000 feet annually, being surpassed by no manufactory of equal capacity in this country. The company has a very large patronage, with the demand for their products increasing.

 

From a small beginning, it will be seen that the concern has grown to be a noteworthy one and is classed among the leaders in its line. William Bentley is president of the company; E. C Gerwig, treasurer and general manager William Mitchell, secretary and G. L. Hendershot, traveling representative he also serving in the same capacity for' the Parkersburg Upholstering Company mentioned elsewhere. William H. Baker is superintendent of the enterprise, he rising to that position from a machine hand, that being his duty when the plant was first put into operation.

 

His judgment and exceptional knowledge of the art of wood-working has had much to do with the success that has been achieved. The owners of the industry have been engaged in this business since their boyhood, they first having proved their efficiency in a furniture manufactory in Allegheny City, Pennsylvania, and their experience adds to the skill they display in the management. The concern was incorporated in 1892,with a paid in capital stock of $100,000 and maintains influential relations with some of the leading wholesalers and retailers in the United States.

 

 

Plant of Parkersburg Upholstering Co 1896 Ahead of the newest of Parkersburg's important manufacturing industries, the Parkersburg Upholstering Company, is a brilliant future, Since its establishment and incorporation, in December, 1893, it has experienced no set-backs, encountering nothing upon the high commercial seas but progress and prosperity.

 

Its growth has been steady and substantial; the hopes of the promoters have not boon dashed to atoms on the rocks of competition, but, on the stories in height, with a full basement; on Fifth street, below Ann, where is conducted a general upholstering business; but parlor suits, lounges, fancy couches and leather covered rockers are the! principal products. Of the parlor suits, forty different patterns are made, in the manufacture! of which mahogany finished birch frames are used, in connection with silk tapestries.

 

damasks, brocatelles, plushes, velours and corduroys as the furnishings. The variety of lounges is also very extensive, as is also what is known to the trade as odd pieces. Twenty skilled workmen are constantly employed, while the result of their labors are disposed of as rapidly as completed, the demand being large and the trade extending throughout West Virginia.

 

Ohio, Kentucky and New England. where the company controls an unusually heavy trade, The frames for these products are not manufactured here, but are-obtained of the principal manufacturers in the United States. Dealers have recognized merit and durability in the products of this industry and the demand has increased to such proportions that it is now greater than the supply, which will necessitate an enlargement of the plant, if it continues.

 

The officers and directors of the concern include William Bentley, president; Charles Koethe secretary; E. C. Gerwig, treasurer; William Noll, manager. The gratifying proportions of this thriving industrial enterprise are in the largest measure due to the active energies of its promoters, who from its early and modest inception to its present commanding pre-eminence have used every honest effort to elevate it to its present position of success

 

 

Novelty Mill Company 1896  We have all heard of the staff of life, and there are none of us so strong that we do not depend upon it to a large extent and, for that reason, are interested in all that pertains to its manufacture. A great flouring mill is a most interesting place and is certainly of inestimable value to a community. So much depends upon how our flour is made our comfort, our health-in fact, our lives may be lost or promoted by the way a grain of wheat is crushed.

 

The flour turned out by the Novelty Mill, of this city, has been "tried as by fire" in the ovens of thousands of families and has came out of the trial triumphant. It has stood the test of steady use for many years, and the constant growth of the popular demand for it has spoken more eloquently than any words, of its sterling qualities as a family flour. From miles around, in both this State and Ohio, farmers bring their family grist to this standard mill, confident of receiving the fullest weight and finest four that wheat is capable of making.

 

This they do, coming sometimes 20 and 30 miles, when there is a flouring mill in their immediate neighborhood, but one that maybe cheats them in weight, skins them in toll, gives them musty flour for good wheat, or grinds them wheat only to spoil it. These farmers are sure, from long experience, that none of these things will befall them at the a Novelty Mill. Square and fair business dealings, strict honesty, the use of only the best modern methods and machinery have secured this enviable reputation of the proprietors of the Novelty Mill, made the name of their establishment a household word throughout this portion of the State. The Novelty Mill Company was incorporated in 1877. The present officers of the company are Joseph B. Neal, President; E. McCreary, Secretary, and Abram Smith, Treasurer. The Board of Directors consists of Col. W. Vrooman, Jos. B. Neal, E. McCreary, Abram Smith. R. L. Neal and W. W. Van Winkle. Occupying positions in the first ranks of Parkersburg's business men, they need. no introduction to our readers.

 

The business itself was started in 1850, since when it has been extensively enlarged and improved, to keep pace with the advance in mechanical improvement until, at the present time, it is one of the best and most thoroughly equipped flouring mills in this part of the country. The roller process, which is used in all modern mills, is used in this one and the results attained have always been the most satisfactory. The capacity of the plant is 300 barrels of flour per day. The different brands of flour turned out by this popular mill are as follows: "Patent Excellent," "Little Dude," "Perfection," "Novelty," Ashland" and "Sea Foam." The latter brand, which is a most delightful flour with which wonderful results may be obtained in a culinary way, was copy righted by the Company, in February, 1896. It is a great favorite and the company is making an immense run with it.

 

The old favorites, however, retain their popularity and sell steadily and widely. The Novelty Mill Company ship their flour to all parts of the states of West Virginia and Ohio, with large sales in many other states. A large number of workmen are employed in this large and thriving industry and the mill yard presents a busy scene at every hour in the day. The demand for the A Novelty brands of flour is steadily increasing and this important business a bids fair to become even greater and more prosperous in the future than it has been in the past.

 

 

Peerless Mill Company 1896 In the manufacture of fine cereal products, a leading concern is the Peerless Milling Company of this city. 'the business was established a number of years ago, has had a steady growth In the consumption of its product, the celebrated Peerless flour, which is in high favor with consumers and in large demand by the trade on account of it high standard and superior excellence The plant is admirably equipped and has a daily capacity of 100 barrels Several salesmen are employed as travelling representative and through their efforts the business extends through Ohio, West Virginia and Kentucky John Moosman is manager of the establishment and is widely and favorably known in business and persona is relations. In Carl Goetz, who is clerk he has an able lieutenant.

 

sj96-35 Farmers and Merchants Mill 1896 Classed among the. foremost industries of this city is the Farmers' and Merchants' Roller Flouring Mill, located at Second and Avery streets, owned and operated by C. A. Wade, and having a capacity of fifty barrels per day. A general milling and feed business is conducted by this concern, the wheat used in the milling being West Virginia and Western product. The principal brands produced by this establishment are Magnolia, Starlight and Paragon, which are principally disposed of Locally and at a branch, conducted at Waverly, West Virginia. The mill occupies about 8,000 feet of floor space, being a tour story frame building of large dimensions.

 

The business was established by its present owner and in its growth has kept pace with that of the city, which has been of the most rapid order. Constant improvements have been made an the plant until to-day it is surpassed by none of equal capacity in the State. Its machinery camprises the mast complete and modern inventions, the buckwheat mil being constructed with the latest devices known to milling. The corn meal roller is of the most improved order and produces the finest quality of corn meal an the market.

 

The brands of this establishment are especially favored, housekeepers recognizing in them the whiteness and other qualities so much desired in flour. C. A. Wade is mast favorably known to the business men of the community as a man of ability in the management of his plant and is ably assisted by S. G. Clark, under whose supervision the wants of those desiring country custom work are attended to.

 

 

Farmers and Merchants Mill 1896 Classed among the. foremost industries of this city is the Farmers' and

Merchants' Roller Flouring Mill, located at Second and Avery streets, owned and operated by C. A. Wade, and having a capacity of fifty barrels per day. A general milling and feed business is conducted by this concern, the wheat used in the milling being West Virginia and Western product. The principal brands produced by this establishment are Magnolia, Starlight and Paragon, which are principally disposed of Locally and at a branch, conducted at Waverly, West Virginia. The mill occupies about 8,000 feet of floor space, being a tour story frame building of large dimensions.

 

The business was established by its present owner and in its growth has kept pace with that of the city, which has been of the most rapid order. Constant improvements have been made an the plant until to-day it is surpassed by none of equal capacity in the State. Its machinery camprises the mast complete and modern inventions, the buckwheat mil being constructed with the latest devices known to milling.

 

The corn meal roller is of the most improved order and produces the finest quality of corn meal an the market. The brands of this establishment are especially favored, housekeepers recognizing in them the whiteness and other qualities so much desired in flour. C. A. Wade is mast favorably known to the business men of the community as a man of ability in the management of his plant and is ably assisted by S. G. Clark, under whose supervision the wants of those desiring country custom work are attended to.

 

 

Plant of the H. B. Davis Works 1896 In the manufacture of coaches and wagons, one of the leading local representatives is H. B. Davis, occupying a two-story iron-clad factory, 50 x 120 feet in dimensions, at 331 Third street. This business was inaugurated four years ago by the present proprietor who has conducted it upon principles which have gained for him substantial recognition and a large and active trade. He is a practical horseshoer and blacksmith and manufacturer of spring and road wagons and buggies, being the largest dealer in this line in the city. His material is purchased wholesale and patrons therefore save the middleman's profit, by obtaining greatly lower rates than others can offer. His establishment is thoroughly equipped to build to order buggies and wagons of the best quality and workmanship.

 

He is especially prominent as a builder of wagons, among his patrons being many of the leading business and manufacturing concerns in the city, including the Henry C. Jackson Company, Shattuck & Jackson, Parkersburg Ice Company, M. B. Bartlett & Co., the Parkersburg and Reymann Brewing Companies, the Parkersburg Mill Company, and others. He gives thoroughly efficient attention to all repair work and daily shoes scores of horses. On the 28th of August, last year, Mr. Davis entailed a loss of $63,OO0.00 caused by fire destroying a building on the same site and similar in construction to the present one.

 

His misfortune did not cause him to despair, for he at once rebuilt and now, from nothing to begin with, he leads all others in the city in his line and employs constantly seven men. He is a practical mechanic and came to  Parkersburg from Cincinnati five years ago. While in that city he was employed by Sayer & Scovel, the Emerson-Fisher Carriage Company, and the Favorite Carriage Company. He  now executes many important contracts in his line, manufactures tops, and does all kinds of trimming and painting, and general blacksmithing.He is a practical man in the business and a man of high business standing

 

 

Parkersburg Brewery Marcus Rapp, president and general manager of the Parkersburg Brewing Company, is a native of Germany. He While residing in Wheeling, Mr. Rapp married Miss Susannah Rothstein. Five children have been born to this union. In 1859, Mr. Rapp came to Parkersburg, where, in association with Mr. Hebrank, he started and conducted. for many years, the old brewery of Hebrank & Rapp, on the South side of the Kanawha, Mr. Rapp enjoys the distinction of having brewed the first lager beer ever brewed in Wood county. The capacity of the brewery of Hebrank & Rapp was 30 barrels per day.

 

The yearly capacity of the magnificent establishment, which succeeded this pioneer brewery, is 60,000 barrels per year. It may be added that in turning out this magnificent product, thirty men are employed all the year round. As these men are nearly all skilled workmen, receiving high wages, it will be seen that the pay roll of this industry must distribute a good many dollars each payday, making it in this way alone, if in no other, an important factor in the business life of this city.

 

Mr. Rapp enjoys an unusually felicitous domestic life, occupying a beautiful and charmingly located home on

the South side of the Kanawha and commanding. a fine view of the Ohio river, with its lovely scenery. Mr. Frank Hemmrich, head brewer, occupies a position of great responsibility, but one which he is perfectly competent to fill, being a past master of the art of brewing. I have the complete history with more pictures at http://www.mackeysclockrepair.com/brew.html

 

 

The Plant of C. C. Martin & Co. 1896 C. C. Martin, the head of the flourishing and solidly established business which bears his name, is a native of this State. He was born on a farm in the vicinity of the town of New Martinsville, October 2, 1840. He was the son of Franklin Martin, his mother's maiden name being Eliza Harkness Riggs. Of two sisters and one brother, the latter alone is now living, and resides on the old home farm, near New Martinsville, W. Va.

 

Mr. Martin received the basis of his education in the private schools of the day, afterwards attending the West Liberty Academy. He next entered Marietta College, where he received a thorough and liberal collegiate training. After his education was completed, Mr. Martin taught school during the winter of 1861-62. The war breaking out, he enlisted in the Confederate army under General  W. L. Jackson, participating in the operations in the Valley of Virginia. At the close of the war he returned home for a few months.

 

In 1865 he came to this city and engaged in the retail grocery business for a period of eight months. The oil excitement breaking out in Wirt county, he closed out his business here and went to California House, in the oil regions, where he conducted a general store for a while. He then returned to Parkersburg, bought back his old business and opened up, in 1876, the first business house to be started on the left hand side of the square, on Market street, between Fourth and Fifth streets.

 

He afterwards removed to his present commodious and convenient to cation, at 227 and 229 Ann street. In   1874 occurred Mr. Martin's marriage to Miss Julia Moss. They have three children, two sons and one daughter. Mr. and Mrs. Martin and their interesting family reside at No. 1010 Market street, in an elegant home, furnished with all the conveniences and artistic graces that wealth and a refined taste can provide Mr. Martin attends the Episcopal church.

 

The C. C. Martin & Co. wholesale grocery establishment is one of the widest and most favorably known business institutions of the kind in the Ohio valley. An enormous stock of the finest and best grocers supplies to be had in the markets, and comprising a full line of general groceries, flour, feed, confectionery, cigars, tobaccos, etc., is kept constantly on hand. Four traveling salesmen are kept continually on the road to supply the wants of this house's multitudinous and constantly increasing list of customers in West Virginia and Ohio. Our illustration represents the front and street entrance to this establishment, which presents at all hours in the day, one of the busiest scenes to be witnessed in the city.

 

 

Hotel Ormond 1896 Throughout the length and breadth of the land a no more deservedly popular hostelry can be found than the Hotel Ormond, of this city. Situated on the corner of Ann and Third streets, it is easy of access to the railroad depots and business houses, yet far enough away from each to be refreshingly homelike. Under the management of Mr. J. B. Jenkins, who assumed charge on the twenty-ninth day , of October, 1895,success has been rapid and lasting. The hotel building, itself, is one of the handsomest structures in the city, being three stories in height and built especially for hotel purposes, with all the modern conveniences known to the business. The service is at all times perfect and the cuisine is of the best. Mr. J. B. Jenkins, the proprietor, was born in Charleston, W. Va., and previous to taking charge of the Ormond, had been for years in the mercantile business. Mr. Jenkins enjoys a wide acquaintanceship among the traveling public, with whom he and his house are always warm favorites. It is to his efficient management that. the present prosperity of the Ormond is largely due.

 

 

Murdoch & Warne, at 716 Market street, is a firm prominently engaged as general furniture and carpet dealer and funeral directors. The business was inaugurated over 30 years ago by V. H. Warne on Market street near Fifth. Success attended the enterprise, it taking the lead at the start in this particular line and has kept it ever since,. Mr. Warne having directed the funerals of many of the most prominent people in this vicinity. Nearly three years ago the concern was transferred to the handsome three story brick building in which it is at present located. The premises here, including the basement, comprise four floors and are 30xl05 feet in dimensions.

 

On April 1 the erection of a new stone front four story building 25 x l05 adjoining the present structure was commenced, the third and fourth floors of which will be utilized by Murdoch & Warne in order to provide additional floorage for their increased stock. In was inaugurated over 30 years ago by W. H. Warne on Market street near Fifth. Success attended the enterprise, it taking the lead at the start in this particular line and has kept it ever since, Mr. Warne having directed the funerals of many of the most prominent people in this vicinity. Nearly three years ago the concern was transferred to the handsome three story brick building in which it is at present located.

 

the present building are all modern improvements, with elevator and magnificent display windows. The present firm which consists of W. C. Murdoch and C. S. Warne as partners took charge of the business on January 1 of the present year succeeding W. H. Warne. In the important business of funeral direction this firm stands at the head of their profession, This branch of the business is under the supervision of Mr. C. S. Warne, who is a practical embalmer and funeral director. A complete line of funeral supplies is carried in stock, and the firm takes complete charge of funerals in the most efficient manner. The outfit of this department was purchased at an out lay of over $5,000,the funeral car being one of the finest in the State and costing over $2,000. An extensive business in house furnishings, which are disposed of for cash and on cash instalments, one half of the total amount being paid at the time of purchase, is controlled by the I establishment. Only the finest grades of furniture and carpets are handled and their patronage includes the leading families of the city Excellent advantages in the matter of selecting furniture are afforded on account of the large and varied stock. They meet all the demands of the people and the trade is advancing with the population.

 

The assortment of carpets displayed at all times by this house surpasses anything of. its kind in. the city, the stock including the products of only the best manufacturers "in this 'country and consist of Brussels; Lowell, Biglow, Moquette, Axminister, Schofield, Mason & Co. Lowell ingrains, extra super and various other varieties. Prices in this department are in keeping with the splendid quality of the products and the firm controls a large business in this line. In all, the establishment is the most complete of its character in West Virginia and in addition to a large local business their trade extends for miles in all directions. The gentlemen who constitute the partnership are thoroughly efficient to meet the demands of their business their service gives uniform satisfaction in all its branches on account of its thorough accuracy and careful attention to the requirements of patrons. 1896

 

 

Transfer Company Building 1896 PARKERSBURG TRANSFER COMPANY. An important enterprise in connection with the moving of household goods, heavy material and freight, and the transfer of passengers and baggage, is that conducted by the Parkersburg Transfer Company, at First and Ann streets. It has been successfully engaged in the business for over seven years, has storage warehouse and stable i premises 200 x 300 feet in dimensions, the storage space being divided into separate compartments for furniture, household goods and other material.

 

It has thirty-five horses, 20 express wagons, as well as carriages, and makes a prominent feature of moving work. The transferring of engines, boilers and machinery from the supply stores in this city to the oil fields surrounding it, receives special attention and estimates can be had on such work on application at the principal office of the company. The company also does a general transfer business, delivering passengers and baggage to all parts of the city, does a general freight delivery business to and from all depots, and stores furniture, etc.in the most efficient manner.

 

In Parkersburg the productive and commercial activities have become especially large, but as a stroke of its accustomed enterprise, the company keeps abreast of the times and does the principal transfer and storage business of the city. The officers of the company are J. W. Wolfe, President, and J. P. Reger, secretary. Under their  personal supervision the business has been established in wide favor and deserved success. They are ticket agents of the Pittsburg and Cincinnati Packet Company; and representatives of the Deibold Safe and Lock Company, of Canton, Ohio, manufacturers of fire and burglar proof vaults and safes.

 

 

W. H. Smith Hardware Co. 1896 The various interest grouped under the head of hardware are so important as to justify an extended account of their past development and present importance, were space available, but a brief summary only is here possible. The jobbing trade is of especial importance, and, in Parkersburg, is represented by an old and successful house, which effectually meets the demands of Parkersburg's regular trade territory, and which extends its operations over a much wider field.

 

In the important industry of wholesaling hardware the products of the W. H. Smith Hardware Company, at 117 and 119 Third street, are widely known. This pioneer enterprise was established nearly a quarter of a century ago in the three story brick structure it occupies. The building is provided with elevator and other conveniences, is 42x120 feet in dimensions, and has a floor space of over 21,000 square feet, Everything pertaining to the wholesale and retail hardware trade can be found in the establishment, and the stock in trade is the most extensive in this State.

 

Heavy and shelf hardware, cutlery, iron, steel, agricultural implements, farmers' supplies, mill supplies

and building supplies, are the lines of' trade in which the house is especially active, and their output is an important and largely increasing one. Four experienced salesmen represent the house to foreign patrons throughout West Virginia and Ohio. The company is also engaged extensively in the manufacture of tinware and the demand for the product is at all times heavy. Close attention to business conduct is the principal factor in creating this establishment's splendid commercial standing. Mr. W. H. Smith, Jr., manages the enterprise and to his untiring energy and careful dealings is the splendid success of the company attributable. Included among their patrons are the leading consumers throughout this territory.

 

 

R. J. A. Boreman 1896 Especially representative in the various wholesale and jobbing mercantile above named firm, which dissolved by mutual agreement on January 1, of this year, Mr. Strouss retiring and Mr. Boreman continuing the business. The stock consists of a greatly varied selection of fancy and staple glassware and chinaware, stoneware, tinware, stationery, notions, cutlery, and wall paper at wholesale, the trade being represented by two expert salesmen in territory within a radius of 100 miles.

 

Many of the products are of foreign importation, the house having direct communication with the largest jobbers in New York and other eastern cities. France, Germany and Austria, as well as America, all contribute to make the stock one of the most varied and extensive in this section of the country, A large retail patronage is enjoyed in the sale of office supplies and tea, dinner and toilet sets and such goods as every family desires, because of the high reputation and the superior merits of the establishment.

 

Ably directed by Mr. Boreman and being the exclusive house of this character in Parkersburg, the venture has been a most gratifying success from the start and ranks first in supplying its patrons with every demand. More money changes hands and is circulated here than in any other city in the State, with possibly the exception of Wheeling. Come and see our advantages for yourself.

 

 

Bentley & Gerwig Furniture Co. 1896 A trade interest of Parkersburg, which like all great things, had a small beginning, is the extensive manufactory of the Bentley & Gerwig Furniture Co., located at the corner of Ann and Sixth streets. Fifteen years ago this industry, that has contributed so much to the city's interests, was born in an abandoned cooper shop, located on Ann street, near the foot of Fourth street, where the manufacture of the cheaper grades of bedsteads and bureaus was indulged in on a small scale, until 1883, when the high waters inundated the factory, compelling the occupants to vacate the premises.

 

But the high waters proved a God-send, for it was directly following this that the foundation for the present stately structure was commenced, the close of that year seeing it completed and ready for occupancy. This building, which fronts on Ann street, is 50 x 125 feet in dimension, is of brick, is four stories in height and with a basement under the entire structure.

 

An annex, 50 x 90 feet in dimensions and three stories high, extends along Sixth street. The plant is equipped with all the necessary machinery and appliances for the prosecution of the industry by the most improved processes, and upon the most extensive scale, employment hoeing given to usually 85 hands, including a large force  of skilled workmen. The manufactures of the company include chiffoniers, wardrobes and sideboards, the products finding their way to all the principal markets, from Maine to California, and even extending into points of Europe.

 

Shipments have also been made to South Africa and Yucatan. The products of this establishment are made principally of native oak and their merits are sufficiently known to the trade to overtax the capacity of the plant, the amount of lumber being consumed in the manufacture of furniture aggregating 1,500,000 feet annually, being surpassed by no manufactory of equal capacity in this country. The company has a very large patronage, with the demand for their products increasing.

 

From a small beginning, it will be seen that the concern has grown to be a noteworthy one and is classed among the leaders in its line. William Bentley is president of the company; E. C Gerwig, treasurer and general managel William Mitchel, secretary and G. L. Hendershot, traveling representative he also serving in the same capacity for' the Parkersburg Upholstering Company mentioned elsewhere. William H. Baker is superintendent of the enterprise, he rising to that position from a machine hand, that being his duty when the plant was first put into operation.

 

His judgment and exceptional knowledge of the art of wood-working has had much to do with the success that has been achieved. The owners of the industry have been engaged in this business since their boyhood, they first having proved their efficiency in a furniture manufactory in Allegheny City, Pennsylvania, and their experience adds to the skill they display in the management. The concern was incorporated in 1892,with a paid in capital stock of $100,000 and maintains influential relations with some of the leading wholesalers and retailers in the United States.

 

 

 H. F. Harnish & Co 1896 Glancing over the rather prolific field afforded by Parkersburg's industries, one is struck with the many and varied interests represented in manufacturing circles. In the mercantile world this city's establishments have kept pace with the manufacturing industries growth and among them none illustrate more aptly the possible and attainable growth than. the harness and saddlery business conducted by H. F. Harnish & Co., at 234 Court Square. In 1879, just seventeen years ago, H. F. Harnish opened an unpretentious  Establishment on lower Market street, on the savings accumulated in a building association. From the start his energetic and enterprising methods gained the public's confidence and his business grew steadily from the beginning, until to-day he has one of the most complete establishments, that is strictly confined to the manufacture of everything pertaining to the harness and saddlery trade, that can be found in the State.

 

Larger quarters were later secured and in 1893 Abram Smith and A. N. Harnish were admitted as partners, the style now being H. F. Harnish & Co. Five men are employed constantly, in addition to the Messrs, Harnish, who are practical workmen and thoroughly understand the business in which they are so successfully engaged. The firm's business extends through Wood and adjoining counties.

 

 

J. N. Murdoch Store 1896 The prominence of Parkersburg as a center of production and trade in the

various lines of pharmaceuticals is especially well represented by J. N. Murdoch, wholesale druggist, manufacturing pharmacist and jobber of paints, oils and window glass. The business was established over 30 years ago by Dr. J. N. Murdoch at its present location, 113 and 115 Third street. Dr. Murdoch is one of Parkersburg's most prominent citizens, has enterprise and ability and with the assistance of his son, Mr. A. C. Murdoch and Charles D. Swift, devotes able attention to the management of the large business of the house, which steadily prospers as the result of their well directed efforts, and has secured an especially prominent position among the leaders in this

particular business.

 

The practical knowledge these gentlemen possess has brought them success they so well deserve. In the 3 story  brick building are six floors with elevator and all conveniences and the stock that is continually carried is the largest in West Virginia. In stock can be found everything pertaining to the wholesale drug business, including a complete line of druggists' sundries, patent medicines, paints, oils, window glass, liquors and tobacco. The house controls the Hales, which extend through West Virginia, Ohio, Kentucky and Maryland, of a very comprehensive line of proprietary articles' which include Murdoch's imperial cream, for chapped hands and skin: Murdoch's liver pills, Imperial pain drops, Swrtt's pain liniment and several other remedies.

 

As traveling representatives five experienced salesmen are employed working through the states named, who consummate very large sales which are shipped to all parts of the country. The labratory is under the supervision of E. B. Hall, an accomplished' chemist, and its products are noted their elegance and absolute reliability. In this connection might be mentioned the well known pharmaceutical specialty, Borothymol and Syrup Tar Compound. The gentlemen connected with the house of J. N. Murdoch are as popular in their personal relations as they are in a business way and the enterprise is a representative one in the best sense of the term.

 

 

Ohio Valley Coffee Company 1896 The active demands of a large and steadily increasing population, and also the extensive business in distribution through West Virginia, Kentucky, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Eastern and Southern Ohio and the District of Columbia, have established in this city an important interest in the roasting and jobbing or coffees and a leading concern of this important interest is the Ohio Valley Coffee Company, whose plant and principal office is located at 214 Fourth street.

 

The present business was established in 1890 by a stock company the owners of which are Simms Powell, president: C. H. Bartlett, vice president, and W. T. Rittenhouse, secretary. These gentlemen all enjoy pleasant social relations, as well as prominence in social life. The coffees of which this firm are the , importers and roasters come direct here from Brazil via Baltimore. At the address named is a thoroughly complete and modern plant tor roasting and packing, the capacity of which is 6,000 pounds per day. For its capacity the plant is as complete as any in the United States and consists of milling machines, screens, cooler and stoner and Burns' improved roasters, By the use of the stoner the company is enabled to remove from the coffee every particle of gravel, nails and like substances which so frequently ruins the mills for the house-keeper. Under ordinary conditions ten operators ape employed and the trade extends through the territory named.

 

The various brands have a superior reputation wherever sold, it being the firm's aim to furnish the best goods in their respective grades which can be produced. These brands consist of Mocha and Java blend, Old Government, Java blend, Maricaibo fancy, Golden. Rio, Peerless and Premium. In addition to these brands they have just introduced the "X. L. N. T." ground coffee flavored with genuine German Chicory which is already having rapid sales. This firm does not seek to sell the cheapest coffee on the market but rather the best quality consistent with the lowest possible prices. Mr. Simms Powell gives a personal and active supervision to all of the interests I of the company in such a manner as to effectually sustain the high reputation of the products of the firm.

 

 

Parkersburg Hardware & Manufacturing Co 1896 Foremost among the firms of this city is the Parkersburg Hardware & Manufacturing Company, whose handsome establishment is located on Court Square and is filled with a complete and varied stock of hardware, farming implements and, in short, everything usually found in a general store of this kind. The company are agents for the Grafton stoves and South Bend chilled plows, and make a specialty of handling northern garden seeds. The business done by this progressive firm is an immense one, and is daily growing.

 

The Parkersburg Hardware & Manufacturing Company was established 1890. Daniel Gould is president of the  company: H. G. Gould, secretary an treasurer, and Miss M. Gay, assistant treasurer. This company enjoys an enviable reputation among the business men in this city, as a hustling and enterprising

 

 

The Henry C Jackson Company 1896 THE HENRY C. JACKSON COMPANY. The prominence of Parkersburg as a grocery market is effectively sustained by successful firms, of which one of the most noteworthy is the Henry C. Jackson Company, at the corner of Ann and Third streets. This business was inaugurated December 15, 1868, by the late George W. Thompson and Henry C. Jackson as the firm of Thompson & Jackson. On October 9, 1894, the firm was reorganized as the Henry C. Jackson Company, with Henry C. Jackson as president and W. C. DeCamps, formerly a traveling representative, as vice president and manager.

 

They occupy a three-story brick building 80x70 feet in dimensions with a floor space of 18,500 feet. The firm maintains the most favorable relations with the leading producing centers and are large importers of cigars as well as handlers of teas, coffees and fancy groceries and carrying a complete line of staple groceries, Sundries and    canned goods, shelf goods and all the comprehensive list of articles comprised in the grocery line.

 

Their confectionery department is especially prominent, they being manufacturers of strictly pure candy the "W. C. D." brand having attained a great reputation on account of its purity. "White and Gold" spring wheat patent flour is a special brand of the firm that is widely famous and in the largest demand. In this connection feed and hay is extensively handled, while field seeds are a specialty. The trade of the firm is large locally and through out West Virginia, Maryland, Ohio and a portion of Kentucky. Eight traveling salesmen represent the interests of the house and business is on the increase year by year. Mr. H. C. Jackson is a native of Parkersburg and besides being in the business, is president of the Commercial club, has been mayor two terms, served as a councilman, is an interested promoter of the , Kanawha Valley railroad and is identified with other interests. Mr. W. C. De Camps attends strictly to the grocery trade, is a representative merchant and under his able guidance the house has taken rank among the foremost of the Ohio Valley.

 

 

Niswander Hardware Company 1896 Extensively engaged and firmly established in the wholesale and ret ail; hardware enterprise is the Niawander Hardware Company, one of the largest concerns in the city, conducting business at 517 Market street. The house was founded in 1893, under its present style, with G. W. Niswander as president, treasurer and general manager, P. L. Jones, secretary, and C. H. Shattuck, C. F. Rathbone, R. H. Ross, P. L. Tones and G. W. Niswander, directors.

 

The firm's products include all kinds of heavy, shelf and builders hardware, including door locks, pad -locks, genuine and imitation bronze goods, escutcheons, latches, butts, sash locks and lifts, shutter bars and knobs, cutlery, hair, plaster, cement, lime, bell pulls and counter scales, in large variety, the stock complete representing in all grades the latest ideas in design and construction. They are exclusive agents of the Marietta Manufacturing Company's stoves and plows; the Coburn Trolley Track parlor, barn, car and fire doors; the Stanley Works, New Brighton, Conn., steel door butts and fine hardware specialties; the Atkins high grade saws; the Frederick Foundry Company's church and farm bells; and the Hartman steel wire panel fence.

 

Included in the specialties of the concern are stoves, single and double shovel and breaking plows and agricultural implements. The house enjoys a widely extended patronage and a recognized position of leadership in its line. President G. W. Niswander is thoroughly familiar with his line of trade and under his active management the concern steadily prospers. He also conducts all excellent millinery establishment, at 315 Market street, which he founded eleven years ago.

 

 

W. M. Cox Grocer Company  1896 In the wholesale grocery trade the W. M. Cox Grocer Company, who are wholesale grocers and flour dealers, at 317 Juliana street, enjoys a high reputation and wide prestige. It was established under its present style in 1894 in its present quarters, which comprise a three-story brick   Building, 170 x 20 feet.

 

 Full lines of staple and fancy groceries, grocers' sundries, teas, coffees and I all the comprehensive accessories to a !I well-stocked establishment are carried. The house has a large and active trade, I supplying the demands of dealers locally and distributing its products I through Ohio and West Virginia, while the trade it controls is strictly first class, and liberal in its patronage. management of Mr. W. C. McConaughey, who is a representative business man, and under whose able guidance the business of the firm has steadily increased from time to time, un-til today

it is one of the most important in the wholesale grocery trade of Parkersburg

 

 

Click the link below for page 2 of 1896 Parkersburg pictures

PAGE 2 1896 PICTURES OF PARKERSBURG WV OLD PICTURES

 

 

 

  The collection of all content on this website is the property of Mackey's Antiques & Clock Repair and is protected by U.S. and International copyright laws copyright 1997-2016 All Rights Reserved