1896 2 parkersburg wv - Mackey's Antique Clock Repair

PAGE 2 1896 PICTURES OF PARKERSBURG WV OLD PICTURES

Mackey's Antiques & Clock Repair
1249 Gihon Road
Parkersburg WV 26101
 

   304 422-7274

 e mail   rmackey@mackeysclockrepair.com

Website  http://www.mackeysclockrepair.com    

Web Site http://www.mackeysclockrepair.net

Web Site http://www.mackeysclockrepair.org

Tygart School Reunion website http://www.tygartschoolreunion.com

Marrtown Reunion website http://www.marrtownreunion.com/

Parkersburg Viscose website http://www.parkersburgviscose.com/  

Wood County History Photography & Scenery  http://www.wchps.net

 

 

Curtis & candy's Music Store 1896 Besides its progress in mechanical and mercantile lines, Parkersburg has had great development in musical culture and as a consequence of this the music trade of the city and its surroundings is an interest of marked importance. Leading in this line of enterprise is the firm of Curtis & Cady, 409 Market street, founded eighteen years ago by George H, Spence, on Fourth street, near Market. The business was later transferred to its present quarters where Curtis & Cady succeeded Mr. Spence in June, 1891.

 

For the past 18 years this house has handled Decker Bros. Haines Bros., Fischer, Baldwin, Ellington and other pianos and Estey and Hamilton organs. This fact alone is a most significant testimonial to the merit of these brands of pianos and organs, Over 100,000 Fischer pianos are on the market, which is more than any other manufacturer has ever placed in use, The Estey organ has been on the market 60 years, during which time the output has reached over a quarter of a million organs. Curtis & Cady are the exclusive agents here for these superior instruments. A specialty in their immense stock is the celebrated Stevens seven octave piano case organ conceded to be the loudest toned instrument manufactured.

 

Another specialty is the wonderful self-playing Symphony, which produces most perfect classic and popular dance music. Included in the stock of this house is a full and complete line of violins, accordions, mandolins, guitars, banjos, zithers and a full line of musical merchandise and sheet music. The premises comprise a spacious room with a frontage of twenty feet and a depth of 75 feet. In it is one of the largest stock of musical Instruments in the State. The surplus stock of the house is stored in the warerooms of the Parkersburg Transfer Co. Ten experienced men are engaged in the trade which extends through many counties. The house has an extensive patronage because of the unparalleled merits of their instruments and is easily the most successful house of this description in the State.

 

Mr. E. S. Curtis and Mr. E. D. Cady comprise the firm. Both are natives of Ohio, but both have been residents of Parkersburg a long time, the former for 10 years and the latter for 30 years. They are well known throughout this section of the State and are well suited to the business, because of the practical knowledge they bring to it. Both gentlemen give to the duties involving upon them, close and efficient attention, effectually promoting the success and popularity of both themselves and their rapidly developing business. They manage their interests with especial skill and integrity and therein lies the secret of their almost Phenomenal success. A notable feature of this house. which few others can boast of, is the service of a thorough and practical piano tuner and action regulator, Mr. DeWees. His services can be obtained for the purpose of thoroughly overhauling old instruments at all times by addressing the firm at the above number.

 

 

Interior View of Curtis & candy's Music Store 1896  1896

 

 

Shattuck & Jackson Wholesale Grocery's 1896 One of the most widely known and most extensively patronized wholesale houses in this part of the country is that of Shattuck & Jackson, the "Old Reliable" wholesale grocers, of this city. This firm enjoys a large and widely extended trade. Their shipments cover the three states of Maryland: West Virginia and Ohio. To handle the vast amount of goods shipped daily from this popular house a force of nine employes is necessary. Besides their handsome and commodious establishment here, Shattuck & Jackson conduct a flourishing branch of their business at Clarksburg, W. Va.

 

The firm is composed of C. H. Shattuck and J. M. Jackson, jr., whose reputations as brainy and progressive men of business are too well known for us to need to speak of them here. Every day adds to this enterprising firm's host of patrons; for all who purchase from them are assured of the strictest honesty and unvarying fairness of treatment in dealing with them others engaged in a similar business.

 

The house has close connections with manufacturers everywhere, who are I ready at all times to supply its demands. Low-price profits prevail on all goods, which has created a demand for all the products the house provides and has been the means, in the past few months, of increasing the business four-fold. The proprietor, Mr. J. Weinberger, is to be congratulated on the unprecedented success of this, his first business venture, and as he has had wide experience in this line and thoroughly understands the demands of his patrons, his business is destined to continue, expand, and increase. The room the Sample Shoe Company occupies has just been remodeled and refitted throughout. It is well lighted and ventilated and is as well adapted for the business as any in the city. This house is prepared to offer inducements at all times to both old and new patrons

 

C. Nelly Wholesale Grocery's 1896 Not only has there been a steady growth of business interests in Parkersburg, but a constantly increasing demand for luxurious home adornments. In view of this fact, with his customary enterprise and ability, C. A. House, of Wheeling, established his present representative business, that of pianos, organs and general musical merchandise, nearly four years ago at 203 Third street. Progress was the watch-word of the enterprise and two years ago the necessity of securing larger apartments compelled a removal of the business to the commodious four story brick building at 715 Market street.

 

Constantly in stock there can be found such. high grade makes of pianos as the Emerson, Wegman, Ivers & Pond, Briggs, Lester, Kingsbury, Jacobs, Spies and others while among a large line of organs are included the Packard Chicago Cottage, Story, Clark, Waterloo, Bowlby arid about ten others. Nothing but first class pianos and organs are handled as can be seen by the list.

 

In connection with the more expensive musical instruments all kinds of sheet music and small musical goods are always carried in stock direct from the manufacturer. The secret of the extremely low prices on all goods is that they are bought for cash in lots of five and six car loads at one time

 

 

Charles H. Turner Plumbing Establishment 1896 Born at Albany, New York, February 23, 1841. At the early age of sixteen he took Horace Greely's advice and moved west to grow up with the country. After a year's residence in Illinois, his health failing, he went south and took up his residence in New Orleans, La. where he learned the plumbing and gas fitting business. On the breaking out of the war he enlisted in Co. H, Sixth Regiment, Louisiana Volunteers, which, after the battle of Bull Run was incorporated with the Seventh, Eighth and Ninth regiments of Louisiana Volunteers, which with Wheat's battalion of Louisiana Tigers, constituted General Dick Taylor's Louisiana Brigade, known thereafter throughout the war as the famous Louisiana Tiger Brigade, serving under Generals Stonewall Jackson and R. E. Lee and participating in all their great battles.

 

The close of the war found him in the Valley of Virginia, where he remained until October, 1865, when he came to Parkersburg and procured a job from the Parkersburg Gas Co. He was married to Miss Williams, of this city in 1866 and from this union five children were born. In the spring of 1868 he started in business for himself in the building which had been occupied by the Parkersburg Daily Times, situated on Juliana street just below Third. A few years thereafter he moved into the brick building, No. 606 Juliana street (now occupied by the Homestead Building Association), his workshop being on the lot adjoining.

 

His business increasing it became necessary for him to have more room and he built his present warehouse and factory on Second street. where he now carries in stock the largest and most complete assortment of iron pipe, steam, gas and oil supply goods of any establishment in the State. Here he has all the tools and machinery necessary to undertake the largest and most Complete systems of steam and water heating as well as plumbing and gas fitting, with a corps of the finest workmen that can be found, under the charge of Mr. Owen Bryan, his foreman. The supply department is in charge of his son, George H. Turner.

 

The plumbing and gas fixture display department and business office of this concern is located in the magnificent Cleveland stone front building, 308 and 310 Juliana street, owned and occupied by himself and the well-known attorneys at Iaw, Messrs. VanWinkle & Ambler. This store room with its magnificent plate glass show window was especially fitted up for the display of the best quality of sanitary plumbing goods, artistic gas fixtures and natural gas stoves and ranges, which Mr. Turner and his clerks take pleasure in showing to his numerous customers.

 

The extent of his trade and his well known ability as a mechanic is known throughout the State, as is testified to by his employment in the erecting of the steam heating and plumbing apparatus in the following well-known buildings: West Virginia University, Morgantown; West Virginia R. R. depot building, Weston: Hotel, Camden-on the-Gauley; Ohio River R. R. depot, Huntington; West Virginia Colored Institute, Farm; Ohio River R. R. depot, Parkersburg; Blennerhassett Hotel, Parkersburg; and a large number of the fine residences not only in this city but throughout the State, testify to his skill as a mechanic.

 

He has now under contract quite a number of jobs, among which is the new State Normal school at Shepherdstown, W. Va. His knowledge as a skillful sanitary plumber and heating engineer is of incalculable value to those requiring work in this line, and as he gives his personal supervision to all work entrusted to him, we can cheerfully recommend him to all those requiring work in his line. Mr. Turner has served a number of times as councilman of this city and presided over the Recorder's court one term; and as Worshipful Master of the Masonic lodge of this city three separate years. He is an enterprising citizen and takes an active interest in any enterprise for the advancement and interest of Parkersburg.

 

 

 C. A. House Music Store 1896 Not only has there been a steady growth of business interests in Parkersburg, but a constantly increasing demand for luxurious home adornments. In view of this fact, with his customary enterprise and ability, C. A. House, of Wheeling, established his present representative business, that of pianos, organs and general musical merchandise, nearly four years ago at 203 Third street. Progress was the watch-word of the enterprise and two years ago the necessity of securing larger apartments compelled a removal of the business to the commodious four story brick building at 715 Market street. Constantly in stock there can be found such.

 

high grade makes of pianos as the Emerson, Wegman, Ivers & Pond, Briggs, Lester, Kingsbury, Jacobs, Spies and others while among a large line of organs are included the Packard Chicago Cottage, Story, Clark, Waterloo, Bowlby arid about ten others. Nothing but first class pianos and organs are handled as can be seen by the list. In connection with the more expensive musical instruments all kinds of sheet music and small musical goods are always carried in stock direct from the manufacturer. The secret of the extremely low prices on all goods is  that they are bought for cash in lots of five and six car loads at one time.

 

Interior View of C. A. House Music Store 1896

 

 

Interior View Hazen, Romine & Hazen's dry Goods Store 1896 Of recent years Parkersburg has acquired

many new mercantile enterprises to supply the demands of a rapidly increasing population, but among the most important and progressive of them is the dry good Rand silk establishment of Hazen, Romine & Hazen. at the corner of Third and Juliana streets. The firm was organized and the business founded in December,1891, and while it is one of the youngest, it is also one of the most active concerns in the city.

 

In the various departments are included dry goods, domestics, notions, dress goods, silks, satins, velvet trimmings and a comprehensive line of articles pertaining to a well conducted and first-class dry goods house. The silk, domestic, hosiery and underwear departments are without successful rivals, either in the city or out of it, and every new idea advanced, in design, coloring or weave, is always first to be found here, if to be found anywhere in the city, India, Japan, China, France, Switzerland and America joining forces in contributing artistic beauty, gorgeous elegance, superb style, and exquisite effect to their matchless stock.

 

The coming season will, show many new novelties, but wash fabrics will prevail, and in this house a large line of the favorites are on display. All goods are bought and sold for spot cash, which is an advantage to buyers as they save their contribution toward a bookkeeper's salary, Everything is as represented and it is a strict rule of the house to refund the purchasers money, if it is shown that any misrepresentation has been made. An admirable feature of the stock is that it was new when the business was established, and is being kept that way.

 

 No "back numbers" are allowed, under any consideration, to accumulate on the shelves. Rather than permit this, such goods as have lost their stability disposed of at a sacrifice, thus keeping the stock new and up-to date in  every particular, Another feature is the perfectly lighted and ventilated salesrooms, and the 'firm pride them selves on having the best rooms in this respect in the city. Another important factor toward the successful accomplishment of trade, is the courteous and polite attention extended by representatives of the concern, the proprietors themselves directing every detail of the business.

 

Recently the interior has been fitted with new and modern appliances, making the salesrooms among the most conveniently arranged in the city. The firm is composed of S. S. Hazen, for four years postmaster, thirteen years deputy sheriff and at present president of the Board of Education; A. S. Romine, for seventeen years in the employ of H. L. Caswell, as general salesman, and E. D. Hazen, for seven years employed as bookkeeper in the Standard Oil Company. They are enterprising and reliable business men, possessing influential connections and bringing to their new venture ample resources and ability of a high order

 

 

Henry Nern's Boot and Shoe Store At 232 Court Square is located the boot and shoe, and shoe and leather finding establishment of Henry Nern, which for high merit and excellence of the quality of stock handled, stands pre-eminent among the leading house in this line in the city. The business is one of the oldest established in Parkersburg, it having been founded over a quarter of a century ago, by J. H. Fischer, during which time it has developed wonderfully and has kept equal pace with the rapid growth of the city. The stock is heavy and includes everything pertaining to the demands of a first-class shoe trade.

 

In this large and varied stock some of the most reputable and noteworthy shoe manufacturers in. the United States are represented, among those whose products have gained. tame because of their superior worth, being the Canard Shoe Company of Cleveland, Ohio; the Washington Shoe Company, of Washington it C. H., Ohio; N. R. Packard, of Boston Mass., specialist in fine and durable men's shoes; A. W. Hayward, Chicago one of the largest manufacturers in the west; Elwell & Lincoln Company, Boston, Mass., and J. B. Billings, Boston Mass. The house occupies an enviable position, its patrons appreciating quality and designs in fine footwear, is demonstrated by the manner which they extend their patronages Mr. Nern has long been a resident Parkersburg, having located here over thirty years ago, being employed during that time in the establishment which now proudly bears his name its mast-head. He enjoys a well-earns reputation for thoroughness, both the manufacture and sale of boots an

is shoes, as well as in all other operation

 

 

Interior View A. J. Bee's grocery Store 1896 In all the various commercial branches in Parkersburg, none is more prominent or stands higher than the enterprise of J. A. Bee, who conducts a mammoth grocery and delicatessen store, probably the largest in the State, at the corner of Seventh and Market streets. It was established in its present quarters, the J. S. Camden building, the dimensions of the premises being' 25 x 110,) in May, 1893, under the name of Bee, Gates &. Co. this firm dissolving by mutual agreement in October, 1895, Mr. Bee succeeding.

 

The line of goods includes imported and domestic delicatessens, fancy and staple groceries of every description, imported cheeses, preserved fruits of all kinds, shelf goods, produce and vegetables, in their season. Mr. Bee selects his goods with expert judgment and carries only the products of well known and reliable wholesalers. He is the exclusive handler in this city of the famed Chase &Sanborn's coffee and also Ralston's celebrated whole wheat flour.

 

Both of these specialties are of the highest grade, being recognized as the finest in their respective lines. The business is under the proprietor's personal supervision, whose wide experience and knowledge of the business enables him at all times to meet the requirements of a large patronage of the best class of consumers. Much of the stock handled is of foreign production and the house enjoys the reputation of carrying the finest line of goods of this description in the State. The delivery of the establishment is prompt and free and extends all over the city. In its arrangement the store is surpassed by none, its' appointments consisting of the most improved devices and appliances known to the trade, in which it excels.

 

Every modern convenience known to the trade can be seen in operation and the effect on those who pay their first visit to the establishment is always an agreeable one and causes them to feel that they are in the right place. The metropolitan appearance and air of the interior are always pleasing to the eye and sufficient to cause Mr. Bee to be most profoundly congratulated on having achieved what is wholly a triumph in his enterprise. Mr. J. A. Bee is essentially a business man in the strictest sense of the word.

 

His present large and rapidly developing business is a concise demonstration of this fact. He is always watchful of his patron's interests and is an expert in all that the term implies. He is numbered with the Parkersburgers who are endowed with the spirit of progress and more men of his hustling abilities are what the city needs. He has lived here 12 years, coming from Elizabeth, W. Va.

 

 

Interior View Ernst W. Grimm's drug Store 1896

 

 

McKinney & Dils Dry Goods Store 1896 The old dry goods and notion House of McKinney & Dils, for over a score of years has been successfully conducted, and throughout that long period has been at the head of the dry goods trade of the city. The firm occupies the new three story building substantially constructed of brick and stone expressly for its business at 406 Market street. The building is one of the finest in the State and is 30 x 178 feet in dimensions, with an annex of 30 x 40 feet in dimensions, and is admirably arranged for the convenience of the business, being roomy and well ventilated, the first floor being devoted to the office and to the sale of imported dress goods, silks, domestics, notions, cassimeres, table linen, towels, crashes, underwear, hosiery, prints, cheviots and cloak and wall paper departments, the latter utilizing the annex.

 

The second floor is used for the stock of carpets, oil cloths, matttngs, lace curtains and window shades. The third floor is devoted to club room purposes. The floors are easy of access and shopping in this mammoth establishment is a " real delight. The firm controls a business of the largest volume, paying largely spot cash for all goods, and carrying everything in the line of dry goods, notions and the latest and most fashionable novelties for ladies, and they enjoy the favor and confidence of a trade that extends for miles around, adding to the list of customers, who dealt with the house for many years, new patrons, who find their excellent assortment and their uniformly low quotations equally attractive, while their 'business methods are such as to commend them to the confidence as well as the favor of the trade. Throughout the long period covered by the history of the house, it has pursued an

honorable and enterprising course, and there is a system of promotion, amongst ,employees, contributing most effectually to the success of the firm. The partners are J. M. McKinney and S. T. Dils who hold an especially prominent place' in the trade annals of Parkersburg

 

 

Dare & Carney Furniture Store 1896 DARE & CARNEY; An extensive business in home furnishing and funeral directing is controlled by Dare & Carney at 527 Market street, whose business was established in 1891 in the present premises, but which will be removed to quarters in the new building to be erected by the firm on the site of the buildings now standing at 506, 508 and 510 Market street. The building will be of brick, four stories in height, 67 x 130 feet in dimensions, divided into three compartments, each of 22 x 130 feet in dimensions, one of which will be occupied by this firm, while the remaining two will be let for business purposes by Mr. Dare.

 

In their new building the first floor will be utilized for general furniture display, the second floor for carpets and upholstered goods; the third floor for chamber suits and the fourth floor for undertaking. The firm carries a most complete line of furniture, the products of the best manufacturers, and disposes of its stock of endless varieties to the trade for cash and installments. As funeral directors, Dare & Carney occupy the very highest niche in public favor, taking always an active interest and keeping well abreast of the times in matters of improvement and modern methods, being skilled embalmers and taking a pride in having at their command the equipments of an up to-date establishment. Mr. J. M. Dare has been connected with the business interests of this city since 1891, having come here from Sistersville, W. Va., where he was born and reared. Mr. G. W. Carney has been identified with active business interests in Parkersburg for years, he having passed his boyhood here, Both are progressive business men and are wholly deserving of the success that is attending them.

 

 

 

Plant of Nicola Lumber Company 1896 NICOLA LUMBER COMPANY. Our illustration presents an excellent view of what is unquestionably the largest and most thoroughly equipped oak manufacturing plant in the State that of the Nicola Lumber Company, situated at Nicolette, on the, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, only six miles east of Parkersburg, on the Little Kanawha river, this big lumber plant is located in an ideally favorable position, where it can tap, by means of the river, the magnificent and almost inexhaustible timber regions of the Little Kanawha.

 

This prosperous plant has been in active operation for the past five years It consists of a saw mill, planing mill and several capacious dry-kilns, in which the lumber is thoroughly seasoned before being placed on the market. The buildings, with their accompanying lumber yards, stacked high with piles and piles of lumber, cover a space of ten acres of ground. This and other figures to follow, will give a faint idea of the extensive operations carried on here and of the importance and value of this institution as a factor in the industrial development of the Little Kanawha valley.

 

Here in this busy hive of industry are manufactured all kinds of oak lumber. There are, facilities for turning out this product in any of the manifold forms, shapes and sizes in which it may be required. A large part of the output consists of all varieties of boat stock, or the material used in constructing. vessels of all sorts. There is also turned out a large 'amount of export oak, which is shipped direct to foreign markets. Another extensive form of the product for which there is a great demand consists of what is known as furniture dimension stock, that is, the material for all kinds of furniture, sawed in the proper dimensions, according to furnished specifications and all ready to be set up and glued together.

 

This kind of work done here in great quantities. The yearly product of the plant averages upwards of 8,000,000 feet of lumber. It would be interesting, had we space, to trace the evolution of a piece of lumber through the successive stages of its development, from its crude state in the unwieldy log, through the saw mill, planing mill, and dry kiln, to its final finished state in the sawed, dressed and seasoned plank or beam. Suffice it to say that these changes are here wrought' with incredible swiftness, by reason of the fact that each department is completely equipped with all that is latest and best in too way of machinery, quick as well as thorough work being absolutely necessary, in order to keep up with the multitudinous orders received, which are daily increasing in number.

 

For the prosperity of this institution has waxed greater, day by day, since its inception, until the: present time, when its product is shipped all over the eastern States, Canada, and on across the sea, to Europe, and promises to, in time, cover all the points of the compass As the readers may imagine, to carry on so vast and important an industry, the Nicola Lumber Company must furnish employment to a large number of men. Their pay roll embraces the names of no less than eighty employes. This includes both skilled hands and mere laborers. One can readily infer from this fact that a good round sum of money is distributed among its employes each pay day by this company, and thus diffused throughout the surrounding community. The plant is surrounded by the neat dwellings of its employes, which constitute the village of Nicolette. Thus a whole colony has been built up and is sustained by this one industry.

 

And now a few words concerning the men who have, by their business capacity, foresight and skill, made this industry the wide-ranging success it undeniably is to-day. The Nicola Lumber Company was incorporated under the laws of West Virginia, in 1892. The officials of the company are as follows: Frank F. Nicola, president; Austin G. Nicola, secretary and treasurer, and George A. Ecker, manager. By their efficient conduct of the company's affairs they have proven themselves to be progressive, careful and far-seeing men of affairs and earned a reputation for solidity and trustworthiness second to none in the community in which they live.

 

The accompanying portrait is that of the man to whose energetic disposition, executive ability and thorough

knowledge of the business, in all its details, much of the success of this establishment is due. Ever since the

founding of this plant, five years ago, Mr. George A. Ecker has acted in the capacity of manager, with the utmost , satisfaction to all concerned. Mr. Ecker is a native of Germany, having been born in the Fatherland, at arbrucken, in the year 1867. He came with his parents to this country in 1880 and with them located in Pittsburg. He came to Wood county five years ago, to take the management of the Nicola mills and, as we have said, has continued in that position ever since. He is a prominent Elk, a member of the I. O. O. F., with a host of warm personal friends.

 

 

Woodward Manufacturing Company Building 1896 WOODWARD MANUFACTURING COMPANY.

One of the most thriving and important industries in this city, and one of those which Parkersburg is most proud of, is that of the Woodward Manufacturing Company. It occupies the whole of a large, handsome and commodious building, located on the busiest part of the busiest street Market upon which it fronts imposingly with its fine, four story, facade. In the show window, with its magnificent plate glass, are conspicuously displayed to the public gaze the many novelties, in the line of vehicles and harness, which have been introduced in this city by this enterprising firm. At one side of the spacious entrance stands the spirited and lifelike effigy of a pony upon whose form the latest things in harness and saddles are displayed with an eye-catching effect that no other device could equal.

 

Every man, woman and child in the city knows "Woodward's pony. The building is 20xlOOfeet and the

ware room attached is 40x60 feet. In this spacious structure an immense business is carried on by the Woodward Manufacturing Co. Here they conduct the wholesale manufacture of harness, saddles, collars" etc., of the very best workmanship, put together in the most durable manner and after the latest and most approved patterns. Fine saddlery is an art and it is an art which this firm and their numerous corps of employes have thoroughly mastered. Besides the manufacturing branch of this important concern the Woodward company conduct a.n extensive and steadily growing trade in buggies, wagons, carts and all sorts of vehicles. These are always of the most modern design and most durable make. This firm was the first to introduce here the tricycle package carrier for light delivery. That portion of the four floors of this palatial establishment not devoted to the manufacturing

department, is now filled with their present large and varied stocks nine car-loads of buggies, wagons, etc.

 

Fifteen employes are kept constantly busy making the high-grade saddlery turned out by the Company, who employ none but the very best workmen. The personnel of this enterprising and up-to-date firm is as follows: The Woodward Manufacturing Company is composed of J. B. Woodward, senior partner; H. L. Woodward, General Manager; M. E. Woodward, Bookkeeper, and E. E. Woodward. They are brainy, level-headed business people and are classed among the solid citizens of Parkersburg, J. B. Woodward, the senior partner, is a West Virginian by birth, as well as residence, and is proud of his connection with the little Mountain State. He was born in 1825, and has lived in West Virginia 'all his life.

 

The Woodward Company's establishment is a splendid example of what enterprise and sound business methods will achieve and is a business institution of which Parkersburg may well be proud. This firm bought fifty bicycles of Mr. S. M. Jones, Vice President of the Dauntless Bicycle Company, fifty Daunt , less wheels-and are therefore prepared , to make inducements as they do business direct with the manufacturer.

 

 

John R. Hiehle Bakery 1896 JOHN R. HIEHLE. One of the leading bakery, grocery and confectionery establishments in the city is the one conducted by John R.. Hiehle, at .236 Court Square, under the style of the Court Square Bakery. He is an extensive dealer in groceries and confections and manufacturer and dealer in baker's products. He inaugurated his present business in 1879, since which time his trade has extended to a wonderful extent. He has established an excellent reputation for the superiority and excellently of his products and at present enjoys a patronage sufficient to warrant his employing three operatives.

 

The premises comprise a four story brick building, with modern arrangements for the conducting of his business. Mr. Hiehle was born in Saxony, Germany, leaving that country in 1869, and coming to America, making a two-years' tour of the United States, and locating in Parkersburg in 1871, having resided here since that time. Socially he is decidedly prominent, being musical director of the Germania Society and organist of the German Lutheran church, as well as a member of the 1. O. O. F. and K. of H. He is well known in the business life of this city and gives his personal and active attention to the management of his business, which he has established on a firm foundation.

 

 

Hotel Schaefer 1896 Parkersburg is especially fortunate in respect to hotel facilities and among

the houses particular popular is the Schaffer hotel, opposite the Baltimore & Ohio passenger station. The building is a handsome three-story brick structure. This house under the management of ex-Councilman Otto Lehman has advanced to a high place among the most popular hotels of the city. Mr. Lehman has had charge of the house since 1892. The hotel is convenient of access to all parts of the city.

 

There are 24 sleeping rooms, well lighted and aired, a splendidly appointed and spacious dining room, in which excellent meals are furnished the guests, a lunch counter and cafe where quick 'luncheons are served a well stocked bar, containing the highest grades and best brands of liquors, and the hotel, which is conducted upon the American plan, has gained a high position in the favor of the traveling public. Mr. Lehman devotes his personal attention to the management and has gained great favor which is attested by the large patronage he enjoys from all over the country. Mr. Otto Lehman is a native of Saxony, Germany, and is 41 years of age. He has been in America since 1872,remaining in New York until 1880,when he came to Parkersburg and followed the avocation of a contractor until he took charge of the popular Schaffer. He was married in 1884 to Miss A. Theis, of Marietta, the result of the union being three children. Mr. Lehman is deservedly popular among his associates, is president of the Germania Society and a prominent member of the 1. O. O. F.

 

 

Commercial Hotel 1896 The superior quality of its hotel facilities is one of the most important advantages

of Parkersburg, and an especially favorite house is the Commercial Hotel, at the corner of Court Square and Third street. This house was remodeled and refurnished and opened in August, 1895, by T. L. Shields, who is sale proprietor. The building is a three-story brick structure, containing 46 well-lighted and splendidly appointed guest chambers, the entire equipment being of the most modern character, it being lighted by electric light, has hot and cold water attachments, natural gas for heating purposes and offer modern conveniences.

 

The office, dining room and buffet are on the first  floor and the parlor and guests' chamber's are on the upper floor. The dining room has a capacity for 75 persons and the house has accommodations for 75 guests. A force of 27 employes and servants are kept busy looking after the needs of the patrons of the hotel,  while the house is especially noted for its excellent menu, perfect cuisine and splendid dining room service. In connection with the house is a well conducted tonsorial parlor.

 

The location of the house is in the heart of the business district near the Court House and depots, accessible to all pleasure points and resorts, and excellent accommodation is afforded at $1.50 and $2:00 per day. The house is a favorite with commercial men. T. L. Shields devotes his personal supervision to the business management and through his efforts the house has gained a wide patronage and has become one of the best and most popular hotels in the city

 

 

V. A. Hull's Bakery 1896 A noteworthy and well conducted enterprise in connection with the baking

industry in Parkersburg is that of V. A. Hull, at 514 Market street, which business was established nearly thirty years ago by Fred. Schaitor, whom Mr. Hull succeeded December 1, 1895. The house is tile pioneer of Market street business enterprises and during all the years it has been in existence in the present premises, which are 25x 80 feet, the place has been a household word. The stock consists of every thing pertaining to a strictly first-class bakery, the products of this department.

 

comprising Vienna, rye, graham and Boston brown breads, made from the best grades of flour; also cakes and pies of every description. The largest loaf to be had in West Virginia is sold at this house, while the house's homemade bottom loaf, which retails at 10 cents, is sufficient to supply a small family one day, and is unequaled anywhere. The capacity is 1,000 loaves per day. Two experienced bakers are continually employed. A specialty is also made of baking hams and turkeys by an exclusive process. In the grocery department is a fine line of teas at prices 20 per cent lower than offered elsewhere, while the display of pickled delicacies is the choicest and most complete in the city.

 

Confections form a conspicuous part of the stock and the line of chocolates is exceptionally fine. Fish and produce are handled very extensively and in all the place is practically a market, where the housewife can gratify her every demand. There is no establishment in the city that is more popular or conducted with greater care than this one and Mr. Hull is entitled to his large patronage, which he duly appreciates.

 

 

Locust Hill Farm 1896 The accompanying illustration bears splendid likeness to the Locust Hills farm of Dr. Charles H. Bartlett, at Willow P.O., formerly known as Willow Island, Pleasants county, West Virginia, located along the Ohio River Railroad about twenty-five miles above Parkersburg. It contains a crab apple orchard of forty acres, the first of which were set out in 1871, but since which time extensive additions have been made to it. There are also twenty-five acres containing the choicest varieties of peaches, all growing trees just in a state of production. For the past ten years the manufacture of crab apple cider and crab apple vinegar has been extensively engaged in, which is unsurpassed for the delicacy of its' flavor and strictly pure qualities, which make

the demand greater than the supply.

 

The cider is a delicious beverage and can be kept in bottles for years, it being equal to the finest wine. Dr. Bartlett's summer vacations from his office work are spent on this farm and there by he is enabled to supervise the culture of the delicious fruit. He has competent and experienced fruit growers in charge of the affairs of the farm, who devote every attention to manage it the foremost fruit farm in West Virginia With his full office practice, many 'industrial interests and the management of this farm depending on him, Dr. Bartlett is one of the busiest men in the State.

 

 

A View on Market Street, Showing First National Bank, Blennerhassell Hotel, W. H. Flanagan, G. W. Niswander, G. E. Smith & Sons, Mountain State Business College, Isaac Prager & Son, Charles Epstein, S. Rosenheim, Agent, and The Jackson Hotel. 1896

 

 

The Second National Bank 1896

 

 

Wood County Bank 1896

 

 

The Parkersburg National Bank 1896 1he Parkersburg National Bank, one of the eminently safe and conservative financial institutions, transacts an extensive and constantly increasing business, on Third street, between Juliana and Ann streets. It possesses a capitol  $150,000, and the last annual statement showed a surplus of $100,000. The officers are; John V. Rathbone, presidlent: J. W. Leese, cashier; Charles A. Bukey, assistant cashier. The Board of Directors consists of the following well known and substantial citizens: John V. Rathbone, Andrew G. Clark, H. C. Henderson, Thomas G. Smith, C. A. Wade, C. Nelly and H. L. Caswell. This bank dues a general banking business, issues drafts on all foreign countries, payable at sight, makes collections, etc., and, in short, transacts all the various kinds of business conducted through such an institution.

 

As a financial agent, its many patron. have always found this bank eminently worthy of confidence and a safe guardian of their financial interests. The liberal patronage accorded the Parkersburg National Bank, by the business firms of this city and the Public generally, shows how firmly established is its reputation in the community for stability and sound financiering. The safe deposit vaults of this bank are among the strongest in the city and are provided with the most effectual precautionary devices against loss by burglary or fire, being proof against the attacks of either. That the people appreciate these superior features is amply proven by the wide and increasing volume of business

transacted by this sterling institution. 1896

 

 

The First National Bank 1896

 

The Graham Bumgarner Co. 1898 Jobbers in Shoes and Rubber goods This company will within a few days open an up-to-date shoe jobbing business in the new Jackson building, No. 108 Third street, just east of

the H. C. Jackson Grocery Company. The building which has been erected especially for their business, the

whole of which they will occupy, is a handsome three-story brick one, with a full story basement. It is being equipped and fitted up with all the most modern conveniences for the rapid handling' of' goods, When

under operation they will carry a full line of all goods usually found in an up-to-date shoe jobbing house,

giving special attention to their stock of rubber goods, handling exclusively the Hood & Old Colony brands made by the Hood Rubber Co., who are independent of the Rubber trust.

 

They plan to do a strictly net cash business and thus will be able, by avoiding all bad accounts to under sell other Jobbers who are compelled to charge sufficiently to cover their losses in this line. Aside from this the cost of operation for this concern is much less in proportion to the amount of business done than the larger city jobbing houses, in as much as their rents and salary to employees are less. the latter is materially reduced by each member of the company taking an active part in the business.

 

The buyer, Mr. T. E. Graham, who has been on the road for twenty years, and thus knows the wants of the trade, has just returned from the eastern markets, where he has placed orders for their spring stock, which comprises any and everything the trade demands. An invitation is extended to all to visit. their establishment, and a member of the company will take great pleasure in showing them through 1898

 

 

THE OIL WELL SUPPLY COMPANY.

The Oil Well Supply Company, having headquarters in Pittsburg, Pa. and operating a branch in this city, on Ann: street, opposite the Ohio River Railroad depot, has developed from a business established in 1861, by John Eaton, in New York City; later it became Eaton & Cole, then the Eaton, Cole & Burnham Company, under which style it is still conducted in New York, with works at Bridgeport, Conn.

 

In 1868 stores were opened, machine and blacksmith shops established at Oil City and Bradford, Pa., and in 1878 the Pennsylvania business was separately organized, as the Oil Well Supply Company. It now has a capital of $1,500,000,with general offices and machine shops in Pittsburg, store, machine, blacksmith, dropforge and engine works at Oil City, and machine and blacksmith shop at Bradford, Pa., besides a sand reel shop and ring factory.

 

They have a saw mill and sucker rod factory at Van Wert, Ohio, while the large works of The Eaton, Cole & Burnham Company, at Bridgeport, cover more than a block of ground. The Oil Well Supply Company also operates the Continental Tube Works and the Elba Iron Works, at Pittsburg, the plants covering 13 acres and employing 1,500men.  They manufacture everything necessary to completely equip oil plants, and besides equipping plants in nearly every State and territory in the United States, have sent many complete out fits to an foreign oil producing countries.

 

The officers are John Eaton, president; E. H. Cole, vice president; E. T. House, treasurer; K. Chickering,

secretary; secretary; K. Saulmer, assistant treasurer, and Louis Brown second assistant treasurer. Among the products of the company that have become famous in the matter of oil producing is the celebrated Woolf patent valve gear attached to the Oil Well Supply Company's engines, made at Oil City. The attachment has been tested on locomotives, farm, traction and other engines, and its superiority over all other devices has been thereby demonstrated.

 

It is not only a convenient and positive reversing device, but it is the best mechanism ever invented to fully employ the expansive use of steam. Only a Single eccentric is required, and a single rod connects the eccentric strap to the valve, without any link or other complicated contrivance. The single eccentric is rigidly secured to the shaft by key and set screw. The eccentric strap has an upward arm, on the end of which is pivoted a roller, which travels in a guide journaled in a bracket on the engine frame In construction it is simple, it having but three joints.

 

whereas others have eight and it avoids the difficulties attendant upon a shifting eccentric. The eccentric has its centre opposite the crank pin, and when the engine is on either dead centre, the roller stands exactly over the centre of the guide. Thus, the correct position for the eccentric is easily determined, and the length of the eccentric rod is then adjusted so as to give equal "lead" at both ends of the valve The valve is thus "set" and requires no further adjustment.

 

The direction of the motion is regulated by the guide, which moves the eccentric strap. By the lever attached to the guide, its inclination can be changed to either vary the travel of the valve, and thus regulate the point of "cut-off" or to reverse the engine. The inclination of the guide determines the travel of the valve thus termines the travel of the valve thus regulates steam admitted to the cylinder, irrespective of the throttle, and is the best method of introducing just steam enough to the cylinder to give the required power, so that the full benefit from the expansive force of the steam is derived before the exhaust is opened.

 

This is the equivalent to the locomotive engineers notching up his lever, when his train is fairly under way, by which he obtains a smoother and "smarter" running engine than if he kept his lever at full stroke. This is particularly serviceable either in drawing tools, or when the full power of the engine is not required, as in pumping wells where less than a third of the capacity of the engine is employed. With this gear the "lead" remains "constant" and does not vary with the travel of the valve and a large lead can be used to advantage. It gives

a regular and intermittent movement to the valve.

 

At exactly the right time the valve opens quick and full, admitting steam promptly at the beginning of the stroke, without wire drawing: and at the end of a throw it comes to a complete pause, remaining stationary while the piston is traveling about one third of its stroke, the result being that the steam is utilized in the best manner possible, thus largely increasing the power of the engine and effecting great economy in steam and fuel, and consequently subjecting the engine to much less wear, and the boiler to much less strain. The simplicity of the mechanism, together with its substantial construction and few joints enable it to withstand hard usage without irregularity in the motion of the valve.

 

It is very easy to handle and perfectly reliable under all circumstances. It is the simplest, most economical and effective engine ever made and introduced into the oil regions. Its advantages over other manufactures are many, and will be readily recognized by the producer and operator.

 

 

 

  The collection of all content on this website is the property of Mackey's Antiques & Clock Repair and is protected by U.S. and International copyright laws copyright 1997-2016 All Rights Reserved